redeyedjim wrote:Rather than breaking this into several different posts, I’m gonna try to ask all of my questions in this one post. We’ll see how well this works.
First, this is my guitar - a Kramer 450G:
1. Can anyone recommend a luthier/guitar repair shop in the SF area to route my Kramer for a middle pickup? I’ve seen Gary Brawer Guitars listed on Waldo’s site as a reseller of his (Waldo’s) TPC1, so absent any other recommendations I’ll probably aproach him first.
2. Ballpark, does anyone have a rough idea of what can I expect to pay for the routing and associated work, not including the cost of the new pickup? Rounded to the nearest hundred dollar is fine -- I really have no idea how much to budget for this.
3. Is there a source for triple pickup mounting rings or plates? I’ve seen a few on guitars posted in this forum, but my Google-fu is failing me so far. My guitar has a lot of bright aluminum and some chrome, so I’m more interested in chrome or polished aluminum than brass, FWIW.
4. Which pickups are commonly used in a typical Tiger setup? Obviously the Dimarzio Super II is favored for the middle, but which pickups are typically used for the neck and bridge?
5. With age, do pickups improve, fade, or remain unchanged? My guitar currently has the vintage Dimarzios pictured below (installed ca. 1976-ish), and I am uncertain of how to proceed w/r/t its current pups. I bought the guitar used in 1977 or so, and it came with the Dimarzios pictured below. They are simple two wire humbuckers and I want a bridge pup that’s wired for a coil tap, but I don’t know if swapping out the current vintage pups would be unnecessarily foolish.
This forum rocks - thanks for whatever info you guys can provide!
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo and welcome !
Hey is that Kramer is a aluminum neck like a T. Bean ?
Too route out and install pups shouldn't be too much .... a few hundred or so
Check out my guitar and the modz done to it
Good luck !
JonnyBoy wrote:If this was me, I would keep it like it is and have the Travis Bean sound with 2 humbuckers, plus it saves the value of that guitar for sure being stock (those axes are collector's items). But if it has to go through surgery, then it must, so I would put a super II split like mentioned above.
milobender wrote:Hello there. I can sure make you a stainless steel pickup ring/pick guard... see Tom's guitar for a fancy one, or I can just make it plain, like Jerry's...
JonnyBoy wrote:Jerry's pickups? Probably in a landfill, maybe a few in some guitars of people close enough to get them, maybe on a few work benches of Gary B and the like.... but, If this was me, I would keep it like it is and have the Travis Bean sound with 2 humbuckers, plus it saves the value of that guitar for sure being stock (those axes are collector's items). But if it has to go through surgery, then it must, so I would put a super II split like mentioned above.
Return to Guitar Building and Mods
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest