Is this the basic signal flow for an OBEL/preamp setup?

Re: Is this the basic signal flow for an OBEL/preamp setup?

Postby redeyedjim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 am

tigerstrat wrote:Twice now, an "other thread" has been mentioned with no link to it posted.

I hope this doesn't go unanswered, so let me make this a proper request: What is this "other thread" that people in the know have mentioned? I'm close to modding my guitar for the UGB/OBEL, but I have a few "special snowflake" sorta details that I'm still trying to work out. Sounds like this other thread is on the required reading list, and I should read it before I start my own OBEL mod thread.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 am

redeyedjim wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Twice now, an "other thread" has been mentioned with no link to it posted.

I hope this doesn't go unanswered, so let me make this a proper request: What is this "other thread" that people in the know have mentioned? I'm close to modding my guitar for the UGB/OBEL, but I have a few "special snowflake" sorta details that I'm still trying to work out. Sounds like this other thread is on the required reading list, and I should read it before I start my own OBEL mod thread.

I'm not really sure what "other threat" tigerstrat is referring to...there are many. Did you check out the links posted in this thread? Here they are again.
Here you can get loads of information and the wireing diagrams etc. There is a wealth of information there, thanks to Waldo!

http://www.wald-electronics.com/

Here are two diagrams that are very clear and easy. They are the same (as far as the wireing goes) as the diagrams on Waldo's site. Just different format.

Pickup only wiring:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7080 ... gsmall.jpg

All other wiring:

http://img294.imageshack.us/i/wiringnop ... llwid.jpg/

What are the "snow flake details" your trying to find out about? :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby redeyedjim » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
I'm not really sure what "other threat" tigerstrat is referring to...there are many. Did you check out the links posted in this thread? Here they are again.
Here you can get loads of information and the wireing diagrams etc. There is a wealth of information there, thanks to Waldo!

http://www.wald-electronics.com/

Here are two diagrams that are very clear and easy. They are the same (as far as the wireing goes) as the diagrams on Waldo's site. Just different format.

Pickup only wiring:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7080 ... gsmall.jpg

All other wiring:

http://img294.imageshack.us/i/wiringnop ... llwid.jpg/

What are the "snow flake details" your trying to find out about? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks -- I've read each of those threads, and I'm familiar with waldo's site - I have one of his TPC1sm preamps waiting to go into my guitar. From the tone of the previous comments it just sounded like there was a primary OBEL thread that others had read, and I wanted to read that as well. I 'm just trying to absorb as much info as I begin.

My special snowflake details are that in addition to the UGB/OBEL circuit (with a bypass switch), I also want to incorporate a pair of original Bill Lawrence Q-Filters (they sound sort of like coil taps) in the pup tone circuits, and also be able to switch those in and out with a bypass switch or maybe a pull pot. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. I'm working on a schematic of what I think my guitar's wiring will be, and I'll post it for comments and suggestions when I'm ready.

Thanks!
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jackevorkian » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:38 am

redeyedjim wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=426&t=7985
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:40 am

Cool!
Sounds like it could interfear with the coil splitting unless you are thinking of using the lawence filters instead of the coil splits. I guess both could be used, but not at the same time. Will be interesting to see your diagram.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tiffcheese » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 am

what's the guitar player for Melvin Seals JGB 2011 use?

edit to add: I'm not actually looking for a reply with the answer, I can search for that myself. Just was thinking earlier that the 2011 MSJGB Lay Down Sally that I keep hearing on Sirius is the closest I've heard to someone 'being' Jerry. :peas:
tiffcheese

Postby RowJimiRow » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

tiffcheese wrote:what's the guitar player for Melvin Seals JGB 2011 use?

edit to add: I'm not actually looking for a reply with the answer, I can search for that myself. Just was thinking earlier that the 2011 MSJGB Lay Down Sally that I keep hearing on Sirius is the closest I've heard to someone 'being' Jerry. :peas:

Are you asking about Dave A'Bear or Stu Allen.
I think I saw a rig list on Dave's site (http://www.daveabear.com) but it was a post and I can't seem to find it again. You can email him dave at daveabear.c0m he's really nice and quite humble.
RowJimiRow
Vince
Vince

Postby strummingturtle » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

but I thought that the OBEL jack used the TIP-send-to-fx, RING-return-from-fx routing, the opposite of what you just listed. I could be wrong. It would be cool if we all adhered to an OBEL send/return standard Brad[/quote]

Gary Brawer just explained to me the way he does it which is in line with brad's post. Tip=out, ring= in
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone