New project/Ground question

New project/Ground question

Postby broesau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:41 am

So, I'm wiring my new guitar with these instructions from Dimarzio and it says:
Tailpiece should be connected to common ground
All grounds should be connected

How do I ground to the tailpiece when this a guitar without a trem block? Does there need to be some sort of grounding lug put in somewhere? I know this is a pretty novice question, but most of my wiring has been done on strats.

Here's a picture of the instructions and a picture of the guitar.

As you can see I still have to drill 2 holes for the mini switches and get to go through the fun of fishing everything into the body and then back out through the holes. Why don't hollow bodies have access panels? This originally had a wraparound bridge, but I decided to get a Schaller fine tuning bridge/tailpiece combo. Warmoth had it for only $70.

Anyway, what ever help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: New project/Ground question

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 am

You need a wire comming from the bridge/tail piece to ground. It can connect to any other ground such as the back of a pot. Ultimetly, they all go to the sleeve lug on the out put jack of the guitar. There must have been one connected to the original bridge/tail piece. As long as there is one from the bridge, the strings will connect it to the tail piece.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby broesau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 am

How do I get a wire from the bridge into the cavity? How are Les Pauls grounded? Can I just take all the grounds and attach them to the back of the volume pot?
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby foolofships » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 am

Typically, guitars with the TOM/stop or wraparound bridges have a ground wire installed at the factory. The wire is pinched between one of the bridge bushings and the side of the hole in the body into which the bushing is pressed. The other end of it is soldered to either the back of one of the pots, or to the ground side of the output jack.

When I'm installing components in a hollow body, I use dental floss to fish the components through the appropriate holes. It's easier if you tie the floss to the components before you remove them.... :?
foolofships
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby broesau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 am

That's what I was thinking as soon as I wrote the last post. I need to pull out the bridge bushing and look for a hole. This guitar is a BYO Guitar kit and the instructions are very poor, not to mention I'm wiring it completely different from the included setup. On a side note this guitar is very nice and seems to be very high quality. All routing and holes are drilled very cleanly and the neck pocket had virtually no play. My first time doing a set neck and it has gone very well so far.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby foolofships » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am

Ah, I didn't realize you were building that guitar. Looks good!

I like to wire a 220kΩ resistor and .001µF capacitor in parallel, and solder them in the middle of the tailpiece ground wire. This prevents the strings from getting the full current if your rig should suddenly get shorted while you're playing, and prevents you from ending up like Keith Relf.
foolofships
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 pm

i have solder wire to a spring and placed the spring(and wire) under the bridge post and screwed down the post onto the spring, but a hole for the wire needs to be drilled for under the bushing.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Guitar Building and Mods