Just installed OBEL, nothing working :(

Re: Just installed OBEL, nothing working :(

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 pm

also, ensure that your battery negative wire runs all the way to your output jacks ring lug and that same output jacks shield is grounded at your ground buss, same place where the buffer ground wire should be grounded.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Hahah yup! I ordered it 2 years ago and never used it! Okay so i was wrong, the tone knob isn't working either. Just the volume. I also do hear a slight noise difference in the hum when i flick the obel switch on. I'll take you're advice and get back to you!
Counterstriker

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 pm

It's not the obel, it seems like the only thing working is the volume pot, and the obel switch. I can hear a dropped signal very slightly when I switch it on. But I hear nothing from the 5 way switch. When i touch the shielding on the p/u or any of the stuff that's working i can hear a louder buzz, but nothing when i touch the 5 way switch. The tone isn't working either..ahh this is frustrating
Counterstriker

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25 pm

okay good news, It seems everything works when the obel is on, but when it's off everything goes dead :evil:
Counterstriker

Postby bcresci » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Not saying you did this, but I had all kinds of problems b/c I didn't solder the TRS correctly. Funny buzzing etc...
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:53 pm

waldo041 wrote:with nothing in the OBEL, that side of the switch will also render the guitar inop. so ensure you try both sides of the switch. i'd reflow all your solder joints. also make sure the out put jack is not touching anything in that cavity since you have the shielding in there. electrical tape along the wall the jack may be hitting will insulate things. i'd also insulate underneath the buffer the same way.

if these do not work, bypass the buffer by removing it's input(blue) and output(yellow) wires and soldering the extended wires you have to them together. if this works then it is the buffer, and we will deal with that. looks like you have one of the early handmade PCB versions, VINTAGE! Lol.

peace,
waldo

Counterstriker wrote:okay good news, It seems everything works when the obel is on, but when it's off everything goes dead :evil:

that means it is working! with nothing in the OBEL, you are splitting open the circuit and rendering it dead. no pun intended! :lol:

until you get that junction box made it will just be a kill switch.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Oh really? :smile: :smile: Awesome! everything works in the down position on the switch but not on the up! I'll get that junction made tomorrow, then i need to buy a stereo cable! But thanks alot for helping out everything!
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Counterstriker wrote:Oh really? :smile: :smile: Awesome! everything works in the down position on the switch but not on the up! I'll get that junction made tomorrow, then i need to buy a stereo cable! But thanks alot for helping out everything!

what was the problem?

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby Counterstriker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Well i fixed a few things, so it's one of these. The wire to ground from the main jack was breaking (the wire i used was really brittle) so i changed it out for some wire i found (much thicker) upon closer inspection i saw that the wire from the buffer to the switch was starting to break (once again the shitty wire) so i swapped it. The jack was also hitting the wall which was shielded so I took your advice and electrical taped the inside and flipped the metal jack holder on the strat to give it more room. Plugged it in the amp and BAM! it was working!

does the junction box need to be all metal?
Counterstriker

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Counterstriker wrote:does the junction box need to be all metal?

no, but you may run into interference of some sorts. so best to shield it if possible, either in a metal enclosure, or with shielding tape.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby nabco » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:38 pm

I am so impressed with the technical support from the members of this board!!!!

This is FREE support coming from experts in the field and helping solve this problem within a mere few hours.

This thread probably had the most amount of posts in the shortest amount of time as any I have noticed in a long time, and all just to help a fellow member fix his instrument for FREE

I think all of the folks that offered help deserve a big round of applause!!!

I feel lucky to be a member of such an incredible community.

Thanks
nabco
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby nabco » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57 pm

waldo041 wrote:
Counterstriker wrote:does the junction box need to be all metal?

no, but you may run into interference of some sorts. so best to shield it if possible, either in a metal enclosure, or with shielding tape.

peace,
waldo

Waldo made me a tuner/bypass box in a metal enclosure with a switch for silent tuning like Garcia had that had enough room to add the OBEL junction box thing also. So I have the OBEL junction box and switch for tuner in one box, was that clear?
I can load a picture if you are interested!
Waldo made it and shipped it very fast! I really like it because it is eliminating one more box of possible signal interference.

To be clear Waldo only made the tuner switching box, and I Squeezed the OBEL junction part into the same box myself.

I think that Waldo would be able to make you something like this if you ask him to. Hope this helps
nabco
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Counterstriker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:39 am

Like this? :smile:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was browsing Waldo's site last week and saw the scheme for it and had some extra parts lying around and made on. I love this thing. Instead of buying a 100 dollar tuner pedal. I attach my 5 dollar tuner to one side and with a flick of a switch it works!
Counterstriker

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:44 am

Good Job !
Soon you can work on my guitars
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby nabco » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:16 am

Counterstriker wrote:Like this? :smile:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was browsing Waldo's site last week and saw the scheme for it and had some extra parts lying around and made on. I love this thing. Instead of buying a 100 dollar tuner pedal. I attach my 5 dollar tuner to one side and with a flick of a switch it works!

Yes very much like that except the metal box enclosure was a nice two piece stompbox looking thing, well made and super tidy and pro wiring job inside. And then I just added the OBEL Junction Jacks on the side that worked best for my crowded pedal board. I am very happy with how it turned out, Waldos buffer and the OBEL is amazing I can not believe it took me so long to do it!
It is a bit late right now to try to figure out how to upload photos but if you want I can send you some from my phone to your email.
PM me if that will help
nabco
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone