Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow

Re: Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow

Postby jeager » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm

While you guys are on the topic of pickups, I have had a burning question I wonder if anyone can answer. I understand that the super II split to single coil is a key element, since working toward a more Jerry like tone over the past several months I have been using the middle PU on my strat and a very nice SMS/JBL based rig and have gotten pretty close. I would like to get closer but don't want to stick with hum canceling single coils like I have (currently Fender Vintage Noisless). One reason for this is as I understand it when you coil split a humbucker you end up with single coil hum (correct?) which i really don't like.

There are a variety of noise canceling single coils out there, i am wondering which ones might come closest to a split super II in terms of tone. What are the specifications that really matter? Lindy Fralin has a fairly new hum canceling single coil that looks pretty nice and can be custom wound or ordered in various different output levels...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rojack01 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 pm

jeager wrote:While you guys are on the topic of pickups, I have had a burning question I wonder if anyone can answer. I understand that the super II split to single coil is a key element, since working toward a more Jerry like tone over the past several months I have been using the middle PU on my strat and a very nice SMS/JBL based rig and have gotten pretty close. I would like to get closer but don't want to stick with hum canceling single coils like I have (currently Fender Vintage Noisless). One reason for this is as I understand it when you coil split a humbucker you end up with single coil hum (correct?) which i really don't like.

There are a variety of noise canceling single coils out there, i am wondering which ones might come closest to a split super II in terms of tone. What are the specifications that really matter? Lindy Fralin has a fairly new hum canceling single coil that looks pretty nice and can be custom wound or ordered in various different output levels...

Brother Man, I might be totally wrong about this, but having owned a guitar with those noisless pickups, (my main guitar for 2+ years) I don't think your gonna get much better then that. I also have not played any new high end single coils that are hum resistant
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby Rojack01 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:02 pm

:o :o But I bet some active single coils could.
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Some say the hum free singles sound, um, EQ'd or impeded... I may agree..
strumminsix

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone