Pickups, super II alternatives anyone?

Pickups, super II alternatives anyone?

Postby jeager » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm

I posted this question under another topic already and i know it has been explored somewhat in the past so my apologies for that first of all but I did not think people would see it so here goes...

I am curious to find out what single coil alternatives come close to a split super II. I want to use a hum canceling single coil in the middle position of my strat and get as close as i can to the sound of a coil split super II.

What characteristics of the super II split to single coil really matter most? output, resistance etc?
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Pickups, super II alternatives anyone?

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

Hiya, I was also looking for a single coil that could pull the jerry thing off well, and when I got my Carvin with the AP11 in the middle seem to pull a great jerry off. Here this is some of my playing. Through two seperate rigs.

(the first video I use the neck humbucker a little bit with the wah)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCy7MdO ... ideo_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8sn97mmYw

Next Week I'll have that running through a JBL

I feel Carvin pickups do the job and are versatile.

Good luck!
Counterstriker

Postby jeager » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey sounds really nice man. Is that pu hum canceling, or do yo get some 60 cycle hum with it?
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Counterstriker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 pm

I do actually get some hum with it :/ but It's much less then my strat, I feel like it's louder in my fender twin then the bluesmaster. but maybe that has something to do with the fact it's just the preamp. But like I said I'm getting the e120 next week along with traceys cab (1x12 he ships tomorrow! :cool: ) along with a QSC gx3. For my portable jerry rig (John Kadlecik inspired!)

Hope that help! But it's a great pickup. The carvin twinblades are a hotter, not sure how they sound.
Counterstriker

Postby jeager » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 am

Cool, i got one of Tracy's cabs and love it. I put a K120 and an Austin Speaker Works in it. Not exactly the Jerry thing but in the ball-park enough for most, I am just trying to get a little closer...
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gdrfk1990 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't know if it's like a split super 2 but I like the Dimarzio HS3 humbucking single coil I have it in the middle position of my old Warmoth strat I was thinking of uprading this guitar with 2 more and a Waldo Buffer.
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Jerry Tone