buffer questions

Chat about Equipment Info

buffer questions

Postby wleeds » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am

I have a question about buffers. What replaced your EMG JG-2 and why?

And, are any of you using T1M buffers? I ask because I just got one in a loop pedal. I read somewhere that the T1M buffer is 10meg as opposed to 1meg. Not sure if this is a big deal but it does seem brighter than the JG-2.

I run a JG-2 in a box at the start of my pedal board chain with no more than 15' of cable. The cable is Gotham rated at 21pf.
I don't really have the need for the OBEL, just a great buffer.
wleeds
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: buffer questions

Postby erock » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

I ran the PA-2 for a while, which as far as I could tell was the JG-2 but with a switch, I took it out because I thought it made the guitar want to be too metal for my tastes (if that makes any sense)

I replaced it with a home built TPC-1 one clone, once the schematic became available. I like it better as it takes that metal edge off of it
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby mijknahs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:43 am

My first buffer was the CAE Peter Miller buffer back aroun 1996. Then I went to the EMG JG1 (no trim pot or switch). I loved that one for years until just recently I went to the Waldo TPC-1 which does sound different. Not as bright and a little more "woody" tone. I had to get used to it since I was used to my EMG but now I really like it and think the EMG is too bright.

Jim
mijknahs

Postby wleeds » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:57 am

mijknahs wrote:My first buffer was the CAE Peter Miller buffer back aroun 1996. Then I went to the EMG JG1 (no trim pot or switch). I loved that one for years until just recently I went to the Waldo TPC-1 which does sound different. Not as bright and a little more "woody" tone. I had to get used to it since I was used to my EMG but now I really like it and think the EMG is too bright.

Jim

Interesting. I find the T1M is a lot brighter than the EMG-JG2. I have the trim pot in the JG-2 set at zero. Though these are the only 2 I've used.
I used to be of the mindset, a buffer is a buffer is a buffer. Not so much there now.
wleeds
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby mijknahs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Just like "a power amp is a power amp". It just amplifies the preamp signal, right?
mijknahs

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

OK, here's a real basic buffer question. Just what does "buffer" mean? I know how it's used, why it's used, and what it looks like electrically (I have one right here on my desk- thanks Waldo!), but what does "buffer" mean in this case? Buffer like "to isolate between two things", or like when you buffer when you're playing a download to build up a supply of bits so you don't have to stop? Inquiring minds want to know.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:OK, here's a real basic buffer question. Just what does "buffer" mean? I know how it's used, why it's used, and what it looks like electrically (I have one right here on my desk- thanks Waldo!), but what does "buffer" mean in this case? Buffer like "to isolate between two things", or like when you buffer when you're playing a download to build up a supply of bits so you don't have to stop? Inquiring minds want to know.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/buffer

as a noun, calling the preamp a "buffer" it could be;
3. any intermediate or intervening shield or device reducing the danger of interaction between two machines, chemicals, electronic components, etc.

used as a verb, as in what it does, it is;
13. to lessen the adverse effect of; ease: The drug buffered his pain.

the "buffer" you have is actually a preamp that changes the high impedance output signal of the pickups to a low impedance output signal. the new low impedance output signal eliminates the cable capacitance and resistance of the cable that goes inbetween the guitar and amplifier. with a high impedance output, the cable adversely affects the output and acts as a fixed tone control removing some high frequency content. the preamp's low impedance output renders the cable invisible or "buffered" out of the electrical equation. so you can technically call it a buffer because it is performing the action of buffering.

hey, i gave it a shot! :lol:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 am

Unless you are using it to polish your car :lol:
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Mike. So going forward, when I read "buffer", I'm going to think "impedance converting preamp".
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion