How to bypass Waldo TPC Buffer

Chat about Equipment Info

How to bypass Waldo TPC Buffer

Postby raisingfreen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm

I have been using this wonderful gizmo in my 82 Musician for a few years. I really dig it especially with the split coil settings however I forgot what the guitar sounded like without it. Can it be bypassed via a switch? Via some other way? Is this something I can do myself? I should note that I don't use an OBEL or have a long chain. When going directly into the amp for instance it's really noticeable just how much of an effect the TPC has. Just wondering if I could bypass it sometimes and go back to having a passive guitar.

Also, does the TPC become less noticeable when you use a long cable and longer signal path?

It's funny what that little board does, it does not matter what amp I plug into (Marshall JCM 800, Plexi, Deluxe, Twin, etc...) With any amp set somewhat clean it seems to get that acoustic overtone jerry sound every time. (I guess that was the point).
raisingfreen
Donna
Donna

Re: How to bypass Waldo TPC Buffer

Postby mijknahs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 pm

That's what Scott Walker does on his guitars. They have a buffer bypass switch. But then you'll need a different volume pot. I think he uses a split volume pot with a 25k/250k (inner/outer).

http://www.scottwalkerguitars.com/UnityGainBuffer.html
mijknahs

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion