Finally happy with my tone!

Finally happy with my tone!

Postby tapestry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks to Waldo's specs for my twin and his buffer...and a nice 2100 mcintosh power amp....

I am finally content with my jerry tone! Take a listen and let me know what you think. Midnight Moonlight stands out to me.

I know I still have a ton to learn as far as playing and theory goes, but i can work on that.

Here is the whole Jerry Jam show (warts and all). Its a board/mic matrix mix.

http://www.archive.org/details/TheGarciaProjectAtJerryJam2011

Here is my current rig:

Our next show is the Live Free Festival in Lorraine, NY on August 13....we open for The Assembly of Dust!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Re: Finally happy with my tone!

Postby hogan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:37 pm

sounds good, the only thing i would say is add a taste more reverb for your recording. I'm sure live you think you're drenched. just a pinch more.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby tapestry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes to the reverb. It was a bit wetter to my ears live, but it does tend to dissappear in the mix. I will check that next time and make it a bit wetter.

Thanks for the suggestion and comment Hogan!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby hogan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:21 pm

I made my reverb suggestion after one tune, but really, it sounds real nice.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 pm

You have always had nice tone. It sounds good. Reverb is something I fight often, Sometimes I like it wetter, then a month later I like it drier. I have to say I am happy with my tone too! I haven't had to buy anything lately, except for the Heavy Metal pedal Jerry used back in the late 80's. I really like it too. you can get a good "horn" like OD and a searing harmonic rich distortion from it. Something I use to stack two drive pedals together to get. Great job!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Jon S. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:15 pm

I really dug Assembly of Dust when I caught them at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA. I'd love to open for 'em. Knock 'em Dead! :-) :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby The Stag » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

sounds good mmkay
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tapestry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:41 am

JonnyBoy, Thanks and Im glad your hitting it and happy as well! It makes a difference when you can hear what you want to hear!

Jons....We are really looking forward to AOD...Ive been seeing them at GOTV for years.

Dan jr. - Thanks mmkay ;) lol
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby eric » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 am

I would call that tone , the

" oh, holy shit, yeah that's it, don't tell my wife what I've spent on this rig, there it is, yup, the holy grail " tone
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tapestry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, thats it, Eric! :)

whats cool is that most of the items in my rig were free or low cost (lucky I guess) and its just the time spent making everything work properly and the fact that it took me five years to get it all together!

67 twin....given to me by a friend
2100 mac...bought at a fair price locally
Pedals....bought used and over the last 25 years
Cabinet....made by a friend, bought cheap!
Racks....ebay deals
Tiger guitar.....$500 on ebay....redid all components and electronics myself
Ibanez....$300 on the net...redid same myself
JBL e120s.....bought blown cheap on ebay, reconed for $75 each

So, not to bad over time on the budget, but nothing else can compare now that its all together! I might need a roadie down the road, but I can carry and set up everything myself so far!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby zambiland » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

tapestry wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, thats it, Eric! :)

whats cool is that most of the items in my rig were free or low cost (lucky I guess) and its just the time spent making everything work properly and the fact that it took me five years to get it all together!

JBL e120s.....bought blown cheap on ebay, reconed for $75 each

Who did the recones?
zambiland

Postby waldo041 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm

eric wrote:I would call that tone , the

" oh, holy shit, yeah that's it, don't tell my wife what I've spent on this rig, there it is, yup, the holy grail " tone

almost exactly what i called it as well! :lol: :lol: :lol:

what i love about your rig, and band samples, is that even though your on the journey of learning all the jerry playing style with your fingers, that rig still without a doubt screams jerry tone and i am willing to bet is only enhancing the journey of learning his style of playing.

Mik, your rig and band sound great, keep up the good work!!!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tapestry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 pm

ZAM, A local guy did the recone about 8 years ago.

Waldo! Thanks so much! for helping with my questions, providing information and just being a great person!

The tone definately helps me in my musical journey and when I get to play through my rig, it FEELS right, even if I dont hit all the notes in the same way Jerry does, it FEELS right...Alot of times (you can hear in my samples) I play my own riffs and style, but the FEEL and tone Ive loved is there. It makes it more fun to play and makes me sound better than I actually am. A couple of folks in the aud at Jerry Jam said it sounded (not my voice lol, but my rig) just like Jerry! I loved that! Cause we who love jerry and his sound can all aprreciate it...Heck I love when I hear John K or Jeff M play with the right tone..love it!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 am

My only observations is the tilt back of the cabinet with the "beam" aimed right at your head and into your vocal mic. Not only will that create problems in the vocal mix and for the soundman, but also aiming the JBL beam at your ears is a big no no. Not only will it skew your perspective of the sound, but it'll truly destroy your elder years with painful and miserable tinnitus and create a life without guitar playing. The JBL beam of death should not be underestimated. It's a real musical career killer.

Notice how Jerry aimed his 3-12" JBL beams below his head with them never aimed right at his ears. Always blowing past him below his shoulders, only a slight tilt to raise the beams up and away from the crowd and mix station. That off-axis perspective is the place to be when dialing in a good guitar tone. We should NOT be listening to that narrow, coherent, laser-like beam that shoots off the voice coil for our guitar sound. The energy in the beam is truly brutal.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am

Oh yeah,

the tone is nice and quite "there"!! Good playing too. And yeah, I'd say a bit more reverb for that magic Jerry ambience and bigness. When it sounds like it's just a hair too much reverb, you're probably there.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Next

Return to Jerry Tone