Twin Reverb Silverface mods for that 1987 sound

Twin Reverb Silverface mods for that 1987 sound

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am

...Sorry if this is a repost, I searched a bit and didn't find exactly what I was looking for...

I'm going for that mid/late 80's Jerry sound - Specifically this 1987 sound - And I'm wondering what mods to my (mostly) stock 1971 Fender Twin Reverb would shove me in that direction the most. I understand that Jerry's tone was a combination of, well, everything involved, but I'm sure there's something I can mod in my twin to add just a touch more of that flavor and/or attack to my sound. I read briefly through the info on Waldos page, and I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere. I'm wondering if somebody can tell me something like, "Well, the most important thing to do is change out the ____________, and modify the ______________ - that will give you the most bang for the buck in terms of leaping towards that 1987 Jerry sound."

Thanks in advance!

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Twin Reverb Silverface mods for that 1987 sound

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 am

The best tone mod I did to my twin was replacing the stock tone stack values with Jerry's and use HIGH GRADE DALE plate resistors, like Waldo's site says. A 1971 should sound nice anyway! Jerry always had good tubes too. I think the tone finally came alive for me preamping the Twin and using a Mcintosh + speaker cab with JBL speakers. Every little thing plays together tone wise IMO, and many have proved around here that many substitutes of gear is possible and still get a good Jerry sound. So ultimately 90% of it is in your fingers. Good Luck! JB
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Laytonco » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 am

+100 on the preamp tubes. I had GTs in my Heritage Patriot and never really thought about the preamp tubes and I'll admit someone had told me the power tubes drive the tone. They have an effect, everything in there has an effect, but the drive/gain channels in the preamp really make it. I have LOVED the old RCA tubes. When I pulled the GTs out of the Heritage and replaced them (okay I got over zealous and replaced all the preamp tubes in the Heritage and 74 Super Reverb) but I will say this and back it forever; new preamp tubes = new amp. Period, end of story. I have included a couple of pages below here that describe and sell vintage preamp tubes. I dont endorse these folks, just found them to be good thorough sites on the subject. I scored a bunch of RCA 12ax7s that Wurlitzer and other organ makes used. They are outstanding and not too pricey, approx $50.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm
http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html
Laytonco

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Justin,
Hey I just had Jim at AmpHead do my amp.
He does all the Waldo mods, although I didn't do the tone stack mods. It sounds like you may want those.
fyi,
pete
Pete B.

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Was Jerry's silverface twin modded to blackface spec?

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 am

Hey Justin, Where did you find the Conn Strat? I've been looking for one for some time and sure can't find one! Any ideas? :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 am

Found the Conn strat in a local 2nd-hand music store for $300. My first impression was that it was one of the most well made, comfortable guitars I'd ever played; excellent craftsmanship and "feel" - bought it on a whim.
I had no idea how rare it was until after I bought it and looked it up... LOL.

:cool:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

JustinJohn wrote:Found the Conn strat in a local 2nd-hand music store for $300. My first impression was that it was one of the most well made, comfortable guitars I'd ever played; excellent craftsmanship and "feel" - bought it on a whim.
I had no idea how rare it was until after I bought it and looked it up... LOL.

:cool:

Cool! Ya gotta get lucky sometimes! I tryed very hard to locate one online, and there are none (same model as yours) available that I can find. :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

JustinJohn wrote:Was Jerry's silverface twin modded to blackface spec?

=)

...Still lookin for an answer to this question... =)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 am

I don't know if you did any more research and found your answer,but I know the silver face and black face up to 1974 (I think) had the same preamp. What was done to both black face and silver face, for Jerry, was the compoments in the pre amp section were up graded. The up grades are listed here:
http://www.wald-electronics.com/ :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 am

JustinJohn wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:Was Jerry's silverface twin modded to blackface spec?

=)

...Still lookin for an answer to this question... =)

You need to consider these questions first:
1. Define BF specs. The 60s SF amps were just some lead dress and remove of suppresssion caps and resistors away from BF.
2. Was the BF really a stock BF? No, it was mod'd to be more road worthy, less noisy, etc.
strumminsix

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

I think when most guys talk about BF vs. SF, a lot of the changes are in the power section and bias ciricuit (and master volume). Since Jerry preamped his Twins before the power section, a lot of this doesn't matter.

How different is the BF vs. SF in the preamp circuit alone? I don't know but others here do. Either way the upgrades will probably make more of a difference than the difference between BF and SF in the preamp section.
mijknahs

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:38 am

mijknahs wrote:I think when most guys talk about BF vs. SF, a lot of the changes are in the power section and bias ciricuit (and master volume). Since Jerry preamped his Twins before the power section, a lot of this doesn't matter.

How different is the BF vs. SF in the preamp circuit alone? I don't know but others here do. Either way the upgrades will probably make more of a difference than the difference between BF and SF in the preamp section.

I've posted this elsewhere here but I'll say again, when talking with my tech about it on my 68 DSR he said you BF these amps by doing a proper lead dress and removing the suppression caps and resistors over the poweramp tubes and then it's about there. And that is, to your power, in the power section.

I cannot speak on any authority but in the pics I've seen from years when they still used amps and then slaved out to Macs and more cabs etc I've only seen BF amps and 1968 w/the aluminum trim. My gut is saying that his other Twin was one of those. Logically, if he was to buy new Twin just for the head to re-house he'd have bought a DSR.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Dollars vs donuts, JG's black and silver were electronically identical.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Dollars vs donuts, JG's black and silver were electronically identical.

they were neither black or silver faced, they were healyfaced!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Next

Return to Jerry Tone