Tie Dyed Grill Covers???

Tie Dyed Grill Covers???

Postby Box of Rain 82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 am

Hello, this is my first post here, been lurking for a while, and what a great place on the web to hang.

I have a question for some of you guys with grill covers. I have a Hard Truckers 1x12 JG-1 cab that i would like to get a tie dyed grill cover for. I would go with Hard Truckers but it seems they never have the cover i want in stock and can not repeat the production of the covers i want and i just can't justify $100 on a grill cover. Is there anywhere/anyone that makes tie dyed grill covers spec'ed for a 1x12 Hard Truckers JG-1 cab? Any information would be greatly appreciated, peace.... :cheers:
Box of Rain 82
welcome
welcome

Re: Tie Dyed Grill Covers???

Postby hogan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 am

buy a tiedye you like and make your own. Fabric stapler, saw, drill, 3/4" plywood or solid poplar strips, glue and some metal bits to sink into the frame so that the magnets on the cab can hold the grill in.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby CoolBreeze » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:34 am

CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Box of Rain 82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:51 am

Yeah i caught that thread, but i guess i'm still confused as to how attach the magnets to the fabric, then you would have to sew the seems on the fabric where you have cut it right??? I'm not much of a sewer and it would be nice to be able to buy one at a reasonable price made for the cab, but i don't mind a project but i'm not sure i can make this one look good first go round.
Box of Rain 82
welcome
welcome

Postby CoolBreeze » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:05 am

Gotcha. You're thinking of straight cloth covers. If you make a frame for the cover, you can attach the magnets to the inside of the frame, and still just stretch/staple the fabric to the outside of the frame. No needlepoint needed!

Of course, I've never done it myself- but that's how I always envisioned it!
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Box of Rain 82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 am

CoolBreeze wrote:Gotcha. You're thinking of straight cloth covers. If you make a frame for the cover, you can attach the magnets to the inside of the frame, and still just stretch/staple the fabric to the outside of the frame. No needlepoint needed!

Of course, I've never done it myself- but that's how I always envisioned it!

Ok, so a small frame with the fabric attached nice and clean no sewing involved with magnets at the ends will work is that what you are talking about?

Does anybody think they could post pics of theirs off their cabs so i could get an idea of how they are being done? Might help me out a little better....because i feel like i'm missing something here :D ....
Box of Rain 82
welcome
welcome

Postby hogan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 am

make a frame the size of the inside distance of your cab out of wood. countersink some metal into the back of the frame positioned to correspond to the magnet blocks on your cab. Stretch and staple the fabric around frame. push the grill into the cab. done. No sewing, no extra magnets. I'll build you one if you want.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Box of Rain 82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm

hogan wrote:Image

make a frame the size of the inside distance of your cab out of wood. countersink some metal into the back of the frame positioned to correspond to the magnet blocks on your cab. Stretch and staple the fabric around frame. push the grill into the cab. done. No sewing, no extra magnets. I'll build you one if you want.

Nice Cabs! Thanks for the reply, makes more sense now, PM sent by the way...
Box of Rain 82
welcome
welcome

Postby modz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 am

To keep the weight down I use luan plywood cut to fit the inside othe the front and then use 1/2 ply cut in 2/3" strips and glue the strips to the luan. Cut out the luan for sound to come through and cover it. I can walk you through it if you have any problems just PM me. Make sure you drill magnet holes to match your HT cab and MAKE SURE that the polarity of the magnets are correct! Glue the magnets with 2 part epoxy.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gmcdeadhead » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:48 am

here's the one i made for my fender twin amp[url]Image[/url]
gmcdeadhead
welcome
welcome

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 am

Box of Rain 82 wrote:
hogan wrote:Image

Nice Cabs! Thanks for the reply, makes more sense now, PM sent by the way...

Hogans cab are nice. I love mine - Its the one on the bottom right - He called it Box Of Rain - its Karma man !
Good luck
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Jon S. » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Not sure if you still need a source for tie dyed fabric but if so, try Dawn at phone_poet[at]yahoo.com . I love the fabric she made for me (below). Keep in mind that she did the dyeing based on my expressed color and pattern preferences and could do the same for you.

The cab itself is by Sound Scaper Productions (SSP). http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 am

http://tiedyeeric.com/ Is good, too. Whenever I'm in Portland, I always make the trip down to Saturday Market to pick up a new dye or two. He's a good guy. Dig his original SYF design -- the Northwestern one.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby dleonard » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

gmcdeadhead wrote:here's the one i made for my fender twin amp[url]

How did you do that to your twin? I'd love to get that done
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby erock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm

dleonard wrote:
gmcdeadhead wrote:here's the one i made for my fender twin amp[url]

How did you do that to your twin? I'd love to get that done

I did the same thing with mine. You just pop out the cover (easier said than done) then staple the tie dye over it. I put mine over the orignal grill, but it is your choice

erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Next

Return to Cabinets