Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby Bobbyg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am

For light traveling, can I use my 1x12 (JBl K-120) 8 Ohm speaker cab powered by the Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. Would I be in danger of blowing the speaker?
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am

Bobbyg wrote:For light traveling, can I use my 1x12 (JBl K-120) 8 Ohm speaker cab powered by the Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. Would I be in danger of blowing the speaker?

The K-120 is rated for 100 watts.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby Bobbyg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am

Since it is 100 Watts, does that mean I can't run it with the Rocktron?
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am

I'd question if the Rocktron is okay with only using 1 side.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6662
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby strummingturtle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am

I have done this with good results. switch mode to "bridged" and use channel 1. I have only played in small places like this so the amp did not make it past 1/2 cranked.
Call Rocktron to check they are nice folks 269-968-3351
Peace
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby JamminJommy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 am

SS amps only hit their wattage rating with the throttle open. Theoretically, you are not in danger of blowing the speaker if you keep it lower than 2/3 on the dial by running only one side. I think...

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am
Location: SF Bay / Long Beach

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby zambiland » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:29 pm

JamminJommy wrote:SS amps only hit their wattage rating with the throttle open. Theoretically, you are not in danger of blowing the speaker if you keep it lower than 2/3 on the dial by running only one side. I think...

Peace,

Jommy


This is not entirely true. You can get a solid state amp to put out its entire power rating with the input down by feeding it enough gain. It might distort first, which would make it even more likely to blow your speaker from sending it a signal that is clipping.

As far as using one channel, this shouldn't harm the amp. If it does, the Rocktron is a piece of crap. However, from what people have said, it's not, so this isn't a problem.

As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.

Short answer: go for it.
zambiland
Senior Member
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Boulder CO

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby Bobbyg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for the tips and your thoughts. I have this nice original K120 and really don't want to ruin it! I suppose I will just keep the volume down, probably only need it on 3 or 4 anyway.
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:41 pm

eeeeee wrote:As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.


But they sound sooo good right before they blow...


Just kidding. I've never blown a speaker before.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Rocktron 300 with a 1x12

Postby Bobbyg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:56 pm

mijknahs wrote:
eeeeee wrote:As far as blowing the speaker, just keep your ears open for signs of stress and if it seems like you are over loading the speaker, simply turn it down.


But they sound sooo good right before they blow...


Just kidding. I've never blown a speaker before.


I was afraid of that! 8)
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am
Location: Baltimore, MD


Return to Loudspeakers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest