Best club P.A.

Chat about Equipment Info

Best club P.A.

Postby mijknahs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 pm

What would you recommend for a portable powered mixer for small clubs, bars, and parties? Need good clean sound with headroom. Mainly for vocals only.

Going to use 2x15" cabs for mains and 2x12" cabs for monitors (both the Yamaha Club series S112V and S115V).

Thanks in advance,
Jim
mijknahs

Re: Best club P.A.

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

mijknahs wrote:What would you recommend for a portable powered mixer for small clubs, bars, and parties? Need good clean sound with headroom. Mainly for vocals only.

Going to use 2x15" cabs for mains and 2x12" cabs for monitors (both the Yamaha Club series S112V and S115V).

Jim, I'd avoid a powered mixer for those speakers. I'd go passive with a pair of QSC GX7 poweramps and have GREAT rig.

For mixers, I really dig my Yamaha MG166cx.

Honestly, anything less and you are gonna be way under powered. No powered mixer will give you the volume and headroom that your speakers can provide
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

i would agree to some level, but mackie powered mixer have always seem to be above the rest in this department.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACPPM608

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 pm

waldo041 wrote:i would agree to some level, but mackie powered mixer have always seem to be above the rest in this department.

Not a fan of Mackie gear overall. My old Yamaha EMX5000 was a great mixer and put out 500w a side at 4ohms. Did many small bars with it. Like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMEMX5014C

Honestly, though, if you aren't pushing out at least 500w to each of your mains you'll wish you did.
strumminsix

Postby strummingturtle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:01 pm

I think the new mackie's are great. I use the mackie onyx1640 as a sound man for other bands and it is very versatile. They have great a warranty and they are reliable.
peace
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Jim,

We used a Soundcraft 800 watt that actually did us well and is still kicking, go figure....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:44 pm

I've had a Mackie 808m for a while and it's been a workhorse. I've heard that Mackie has removed some features from the newer ones I think the channel gain which is pretty important IMHO. It has plenty of power for small clubs if you don't need more than 8 channels. If you need stereo there's the 808s. Also have an old soundcraft that was ok but no channel gain which causes some issues.
tcsned

Postby strummingturtle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

tcsned wrote:. I've heard that Mackie has removed some features from the newer ones I think the channel gain which is pretty important IMHO.

My new mackie onyx1640 has a gain control knob. There is a 0db with the knob set at zero and set at ten there is 60db of gain.
This one may be more than what you need, but I suggest checking out there smaller models.
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tcsned » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:31 pm

strummingturtle wrote:
tcsned wrote:. I've heard that Mackie has removed some features from the newer ones I think the channel gain which is pretty important IMHO.

My new mackie onyx1640 has a gain control knob. There is a 0db with the knob set at zero and set at ten there is 60db of gain.
This one may be more than what you need, but I suggest checking out there smaller models.

Ahh, the onyx stuff is a lot nicer than the run-of-the-mill mixer amps. I'm sure that's a pretty sweet one.
tcsned

Postby Charlie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I've been using a Yamaha Powered Mixer for years with great results. The desk has built in EQ and didgital reverb/delay in a dial up system. Works fine in any club up to about 200 people. We run a pair of EV Monitors (12 plus horn) and Yamaha FOH 15 plus horn. Usually three to four vocals plus we mic up the sax. Everything else goes off the stage.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby Stone » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I would take a good look at powered speakers. A JBL or QSC 12" top with a sub (or one sub if its a smaller club) is easier logistically. As for dual 15" PA cabs go , there alright if you have a good one (Ive only used 4 different models that i liked) and have subs to stack them on other then that your better off with 12" mains. Yamaha's newer powered stuff has been getting good reviews also. I generally avoid Mackie stuff since Ive seen so much of it fail. Yamaha makes some good small format mixers with good options.

Edit- Ugh read the OP post a lil better sounded like you already have the speakers. Presounus i see has a stripped down version of there SL avail now or smaller A&H mixer used can be had for a good price also.
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion