Alternatives to JBL E120?

Alternatives to JBL E120?

Postby joeriz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 am

Hi all,

I've done several searches here but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Are there any viable alternatives to the JBL E120 if one is looking for that clean, accurate sound in a lighter weight package? I've read up on the various neodymium speakers (Weber, Eminence, etc.). I'd be looking at using these in either a Fender combo amp (HRD 212) or a new extension cabinet. The gigs I play are typically not large venues...think bars/clubs with up to 200 people.

A few thoughts I've had are: 1) replace the stock Fender speakers in my HRD with something like the Webers, 2) a new head with an extension cab with 2 12's (again, Webers or the like), or 3) new head with a 1x12 cabinet using a JBL (to cut down on weight and drive the JBL a bit harder to avoid the 'ice pick' highs).

I'm not looking to emulate Jerry's tone with 100% accuracy but my tastes obviously lean in that direction.

Thanks,
Joe
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Alternatives to JBL E120?

Postby Deadhead1988 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:06 am

Try speaking with hogan about his cabs. I have a new weber neo Mag 2/12 loaded jerry cab which should be here tomorrow. Great price and nice guy to deal with as well.
Just my .02.
Deadhead1988
rukind?
rukind?

Postby keirweir » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a pair of Beyma Liberty speakers I used for a couple years in my Twin. To my ear, they sound better than E-120's (once broken in). They are just as heavy and just as expensive (although new). If your looking to achieve a Jerryish tone without all the weight and need to crank the volume, go with the K's!

Here's a clip of the Beyma's mic'd at a gig

http://www.archive.org/download/DLG2011 ... eepers.mp3

I have since put my Beyma's in a cab that I am keeping home for now. I put a pair of K 120's in my Twin and can this is the best sounding, easiest setup to achieving that tone (in my experience at least which is much less that most folks on this board).

Here a clip with the K'120's (not mic'd in a decent sized room)

http://www.archive.org/download/DLG2011 ... udence.mp3
Last edited by keirweir on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keirweir

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a weber california (ceramic) and i like it a lot. Its lower wattage than the other E120 act-a-likes out there, so its a lot lighter to lug around in the 1x12 cab it's in. On the other hand, I find a lose quite a bit of bottom end not having 2x12" in one cabinet. I think having at least two, well spaced 12" speakers can make a world of difference in terms of the tone. But as for choosing WHICH copy to go with, it all depends on your needs.

The Beyma Liberty, the Eminence Common Wealth, the Weber Neo Mag, and the Weber California four of the most common contenders. The difference is 12-22 lbs, 80-300 watts (give or take a few). It comes down to what your needs are and ultimately it ALL comes down to what your ear likes. Bottom line, in one way or another they all duplicate that round, clean, bouncy tone that only JBL style speakers can create.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 pm

i have found NOTHING like a K120 nor an E120. they simply do what they do, and really are hard to emulate. that said, i believe that one must first play through k's or e's to have a firm knowledge of just what they are looking for in an alternative. weber's, beyma and commonwealths have all been used as a compromise, but the real deal JBL's win out everytime. stock cone or with a good recone, you can't go wrong with them. that all said, they are LOUD speakers and need to be played with some decent wattage to achieve a nice linear response from them. that is there only negative, but this is rockNroll right?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Perhaps I should revise my thought. They each "roughly emulate," not "duplicate" that tone. I have yet to play out of a JBL, so I suppose I can't make make the assumption of how close they are. I just try trust my ears.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby joeriz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:04 am

Thank you all for the detailed responses...truly a wealth of info here!

that all said, they are LOUD speakers and need to be played with some decent wattage to achieve a nice linear response from them

Understood...I mentioned this in my original post as it is one of my concerns. I'm not sure what 'decent wattage' is but I get the point. If I'm playing in bars/small clubs, will I be able to drive a JBL to this level without deafening the crowd? (I know this is a bit of a subjective thing so answering may be tricky.) I did list one of my options as going with a 1x12 cab in order to drive a single JBL a bit harder. Thoughts?

Joe
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am

I think the first question is - how loud will you be playing. I hear folks say how there is nothing but the real JBL but I disagree. You need the pickups + buffer + twin + Mac amp + JBLs plus, and equally important to every other aspect - EAR SPLITTING VOLUME. If you don't have that going on the Mac clipping and the JBLs being pushed to the brink it's not it.

In my opinion.

Regarding Webers: The Cali's get close to the E120, the Neo's close to the D120s. As the D120s were lower volume speakers, I find those to be better for Dead type rigs whereby you start to push the speaker, a bit, before you get your asskicked by the soundguy and bar owner :)
strumminsix

Postby vwjodyme » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 am

strumminsix wrote:Regarding Webers: The Cali's get close to the E120, the Neo's close to the D120s

anything come close to K120's?
vwjodyme

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:01 am

vwjodyme wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Regarding Webers: The Cali's get close to the E120, the Neo's close to the D120s

How do you hear the D120 and K120 differing? Aren't they similar with the Ks being higher power?
strumminsix

Postby vwjodyme » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 am

strumminsix wrote:
vwjodyme wrote:

How do you hear the D120 and K120 differing? Aren't they similar with the Ks being higher power?

I totally could be wrong here, but my thinking was(being built from reading this site and not from hands on) E's = full blast Jerry, K's = studio/smaller venue Jerry, and D's = Bobby.

I have read that d120's were just a later model k120 (or vise vesa), but i also remember threads on this site where people would say that K's were the best of E's and D's combined.
vwjodyme

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 am

vwjodyme wrote:I totally could be wrong here, but my thinking was(being built from reading this site and not from hands on) E's = full blast Jerry, K's = studio/smaller venue Jerry, and D's = Bobby.

I have read that d120's were just a later model k120 (or vise vesa), but i also remember threads on this site where people would say that K's were the best of E's and D's combined.

My understanding:
D = original with Alnico magnet
E = next gen with higher volume, Ceramic magnet and diff sound
K = next gen with same volume as E but an alnico magnet and similar sound to D

So "the best", IMO, comes form the D120 sound with the E120 volume.

Bobby, was using D120s for a spell and other Fender swap in speakers through sometime in 76, I think, from there I don't know. Meyer for some stuff and always evolving.
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:04 am

D120 alnico mag 75-80 watt handling
K120 Alnico mag 100 watt handling
E120 Ceramic mag 300 watt handling

I believe they were introduced in that order.

The difference between d and k's to my ears is next to nil. I prefer d's and k's because I can actually push them w/o having to use huge power. Same w/ the Weber neo mags. Sweet pushed jbl tone at lower (yet still plenty loud) volumes.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 am

hogan wrote:Same w/ the Weber neo mags. Sweet pushed jbl tone at lower (yet still plenty loud) volumes.

Curious what spec you use for the Weber...cone, dome, etc? I have a Weber Neo with a paper dome that sounds great, but not all that similar to my orange basket D120f. It may be the difference of the dome.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 am

jackevorkian wrote:
hogan wrote:Same w/ the Weber neo mags. Sweet pushed jbl tone at lower (yet still plenty loud) volumes.

Curious what spec you use for the Weber...cone, dome, etc? I have a Weber Neo with a paper dome that sounds great, but not all that similar to my orange basket D120f. It may be the difference of the dome.

Mine is light dope, cloth surround guitar, aluminum dustcap...
strumminsix

Next

Return to Cabinets