Phil's Modulus Basses - a pictorial history

Re: Phil's Modulus Basses - a pictorial history

Postby seanc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:28 am

My interactions with modulus ended about 93ish. Up until that point as far as I know they only ever used one logo. If later on they started doing something different it is very possible. But I really don't think that any of phil's modulus could really be considered off the rack. He is always looking to tweak and perfect some aspect of something necessitating a new instrument.
Worcester/ Providence area Bass player, looking to hook up and play some tunes!!
seanc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby RiverRat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:56 am

The only 2 Modulus basses that Phil played that could be considered close to stock would have been the Blonde in 91 and the latest 2010 TBX.

Phil Lesh101 wrote:Phil in 87-89 had these basses custome But they still had The X on the head, And on The Hole FretBoard!

I see the X on the head of those headless basses!

Does a Holy fretboard yield a more righteous tone?
RiverRat

Postby seanc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree. Everything modulus made for Phil or bob was a custom job. These may later have been offered to customers. But they were constantly ordering different things as they had just not gotten to what they wanted and something needed to be tweaked or changed.

While it is possible that Phil may have wanted one in every color and bought them specifically for that reason, I suspect there were many other less visible changes that were made along the way.
Worcester/ Providence area Bass player, looking to hook up and play some tunes!!
seanc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:42 pm

RiverRat wrote:The only 2 Modulus basses that Phil played that could be considered close to stock would have been the Blonde in 91 and the latest 2010 TBX.

Phil Lesh101 wrote:Phil in 87-89 had these basses custome But they still had The X on the head, And on The Hole FretBoard!

I see the X on the head of those headless basses!

Does a Holy fretboard yield a more righteous tone?

Oh yay, non head :oops:
:lol: :lol:
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Previous

Return to Phil Sound