2x12 or (2) 1x12's??

2x12 or (2) 1x12's??

Postby mkaufman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Just curious: would (2) 1x12 cabs yield the same sound as (1) 2x12 cab, assuming everything else is the same. Sure would be easier to transport!

Also, with (2) 1x12 cabs, would stacking them and aligning the cabs slightly different be an issue? (ie: directing one slightly towards the left and the other slightly towards the right in an attempt to widen dispersion)?

tnx,
mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Re: 2x12 or (2) 1x12's??

Postby playingdead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm

I built two (ugly) 1X12 cabs for my E-120s before I got the Hard Truckers cab and stacked 'em. I thought they sounded just fine together. With open-back cabinets, there's very little difference. Plus, especially if you're using JBLs, it avoids having one arm wind up longer than the other from carrying it, you can put one in each hand, walk away and wind up with a balanced physique.

Shouldn't make any difference tonally angling them, that's what Weir did with that 4X12 cabinet he used to use.
playingdead

Re: 2x12 or (2) 1x12's??

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Different broadcast but not louder or quieter. In a 2x12 there is some signal pushing/spreading/overlapping/cancelling shit going on in the middle zone. spreading 2 apart or at different angle's would eliminate that happening despite the fact nobody really hears it happening but in reality it's that jai ne sai qua that make multi-speaker cabs sound bigger.

I did the 2 of 1x12 for a bit, like it just fine, used one as my monitor alot or angled one towards me, other middle of house. Eventually, gave up on it. More hassle than worth at the time.
strumminsix

Return to Bobby Tone