Tab for Cumberland:

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby mttourpro » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 pm

That spot has always been up for debate in every band I've played in.

I'm guessing the GD likely played it more than one way over the years too.

FWIW we settled on this

F.....................................F(,2)...C(,2)...Am(,2,1,2)....Em(,2,1,2)....G.
"Made anymore, I might move a-way.....ay........ay..............ay"

fwiw, I don't hear a C7.

Just like Pete B wrote.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
User avatar
mttourpro
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:45 pm
Location: pittsburgh, pa

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby tcsned » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:23 am

mttourpro wrote:That spot has always been up for debate in every band I've played in.

I'm guessing the GD likely played it more than one way over the years too.

FWIW we settled on this

F.....................................F(,2)...C(,2)...Am(,2,1,2)....Em(,2,1,2)....G.
"Made anymore, I might move a-way.....ay........ay..............ay"

fwiw, I don't hear a C7.

Just like Pete B wrote.

Agreed no C7. This part is kind of moving away from a bluesy feel to a more straight G major feel and the Bb in the C7 chord doesn't really work.
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 am

I agree that when playing my guitar that is what sounds right. But did anyone watch and listen and play against the video I posted?

It changed my mind.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby Pete B. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:43 pm

strumminsix wrote:I agree that when playing my guitar that is what sounds right. But did anyone watch and listen and play against the video I posted?

It changed my mind.


I don't see or hear a C7 in that vid.
Check out what J Darks shows starting approx 7:30 (he's a little sloppy timing wise, and it looks like he plays an Am7 instead of an Am... F,C,Am7,Em...G):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfAPxSY2T-A
User avatar
Pete B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Pete B. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I agree that when playing my guitar that is what sounds right. But did anyone watch and listen and play against the video I posted?

It changed my mind.


I don't see or hear a C7 in that vid.
Check out what J Darks shows starting approx 7:30 (he's a little sloppy timing wise, and it looks like he plays an Am7 instead of an Am... F,C,Am7,Em...G):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfAPxSY2T-A

Right, I don't hear the C7. But I hear and see Jerry doing differently that what most here are hearing and saying it is....
strumminsix wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYSWv2tAMc 4:45
Grateful Dead - Cumberland Blues - June 27 1984

Moves look like and sounds like: F / | C / | Em / | C /

Code: Select all
G----2-2---0-0---0-0---0-0---0------
D----3-3---2-2---2-2---2-2---0------
A----3-3---3-3---2-2---3-3---2------
E----------------------------3------
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby ebick » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 am

Pete B. wrote:Here's what RUKIND has, for this specific line:
F..........................................C....Am7....C7....Em
Made anymore, I might move away.

I've always played:
F.......................................F(2 beats)....C(2 beats)....Am(4 beats)....Em (3 beats, then walk up to G during beat 4)
Made anymore, I might move aw----Ay-1...........Ay-2.............Ay-3.........Ay-4

What's up with that C7???
C....Am7....C7....Em


I was just revisiting this after many years and I had seen this conversation. Just to address the original question, that came right out of the published work for the Workingman's/American Beauty songbook. I am not saying I agree with it at this point....I too have a difficult time hearing a C7 there......just answering the "What's up with that" question.

Image
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
User avatar
ebick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby FretfulDave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 am

ebick wrote:
I was just revisiting this after many years and I had seen this conversation. Just to address the original question, that came right out of the published work for the Workingman's/American Beauty songbook. I am not saying I agree with it at this point....I too have a difficult time hearing a C7 there......just answering the "What's up with that" question.

Image


A great book and a great service provided by Ed with the transcriptions. I've used the online tabs for years and I know we all appreciate your efforts.

Thanks so much Ed.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby rydead » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 am

Hey guys,

Are they actually skipping a beat in there somewhere?
i.e. " ... 2/4 - 1/4 - 2/4 ... " somewhere in the "ay-ayy-ayyy" part

Also, in the "That's where I mainly spend my tii-ii-iimme" part, I'm almost certain they're skipping a beat.

Are my ears playing tricks?
rydead
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 am

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby rugger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm

rydead wrote:Hey guys,

Are they actually skipping a beat in there somewhere?
i.e. " ... 2/4 - 1/4 - 2/4 ... " somewhere in the "ay-ayy-ayyy" part

Also, in the "That's where I mainly spend my tii-ii-iimme" part, I'm almost certain they're skipping a beat.

Are my ears playing tricks?


According to the songbook Ed referenced above, those phrases end on a half bar of 2/4. Basically 2 quarter notes.

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Tab for Cumberland:

Postby Lephty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I have been using this chord chart (see attached jpg) with a bunch of different players for a long time and it seems to be pretty accurate. It's not the slickest-looking chart you've ever seen but it's clean and reasonably easy to read. The whole chart is in 2/4, so two beats per measure, but there are a couple spots (the spots in question in this thread) where there's a bar of 3/4, so just stick in one extra beat at those points.

Leave it to the Dead to take what is basically a 3-chord country song and make it a total pain in the ass to play.

See what y'all think, lemme know if there are disagreements (though granted it's tough to find two Dead versions that are in "agreement!").

Image
New member's area open at http://www.highcountryguitar.com
Ideal practice tools for improvisation
Lephty
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Jamestown, CO

Previous

Return to Cumberland Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest