More Specs for Wolf Design

More Specs for Wolf Design

Postby Woody » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi all,
I'm back and looking for more info on Wolf. You really helped out with the headstock, so, here goes:

1. As per Waldos site, I've gleened that the body thickness is 1.75". Dozin's site states the body is constructed of alternating layers of maple and purpleheart measuring 1/28' (I'm figuring 1/28"). Does anyone know what the the thickness is of the Purpleheart core?

2. Are there any specs for the neck thickness. I'm looking for profile information not fretboard, as that is well documented on Waldo's site.

3. A layer of "marquetry below the binding made of many tiny pieces of 1/28" thick holly, which is naturally white, colored with annelid dyes" is mentioned on Dozin, but does anyone have a good pic, or some info on this?

Again, thanks, and peace.
Woody
"Searching for the Sound"
Woody
tiger
tiger

Re: More Specs for Wolf Design

Postby Tbrogit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:55 am

Did you ever get answers on additional specs. Also looking for a source for the marquetry.
Tbrogit
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby paulinnc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:35 am

I would email Chris Monck here http://www.eguitarplans.com/eguitar_plans_about.html he is really nice and he has come up with a set of wolf plans. I got a set from him for 6$ and printed them out at kinkos. That may help you but he is also very approachable for questions. Chris also has a FB group that is a good place to ask questions and get feedback pretty quick. Check it out https://www.facebook.com/groups/44274804507/

Hope that helps. Also Andrew Olson has been good about answering my questions in the past and I know he has had the original wolf in his possession to get specs from, so he might be worth contacting.

Good luck
paulinnc

Postby softmachine72 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Your purple heart core will be about .90 inch can be as small as .85. The top should be about .35 and the back should be about .25 in.The purple and maple lams are slightly different thickness. The purple is .020 or about 3/128 ths and the maple is .035 or 1/32 +or- .002 in. On the Back of the head stock they are all .020 except for the last curly maple lam which I make about .030. i glue it on at .040 to allow .01 for final shaping and removal or clamp marks. Also the shape of the lams on the back of the headstock is not important when gluing but, make sure the tongue is cut close to final shape, allowing for lateral creep or the lams will split on you. I can source the ebony,purpleheart, holly neck and headstock binding. i usually use the herringbone purling from Luthier Mercantile Exch. for the marquetry because, i have yet to see a good pic of the marquetry used on the real Wolf. That is my 2 cents.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Tbrogit » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks so much for all your help. I received the plans from Chris yesterday and they look great. What a time saver and great deal to boot.
Scarlet Fire guitars a big shout out as well. Will definitely contact you when time comes for parts.
Hopefully I can get this project kick started sooner than later!!
Tbrogit
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Glad people are sharing info that was shared intended to be shared.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Guitar Building and Mods