Advice on Building a guitar with a set neck

Advice on Building a guitar with a set neck

Postby rkubik » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 am

Looking to build an SG with a set neck. After reading some things on-line I am wondering if anyone could give advice in the neck install and how difficult it is and if a large amount of tools are needed. I am looking at possibly purchasing a kit (unless I can get a good deal on a body and neck already assembled), so I would be assembling and not making the body and neck from scratch. My tool supply is limited as well. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Advice on Building a guitar with a set neck

Postby vwjodyme » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

for kits i only know of stewmac and carvin, but i think both only offer strat style...maybe warmoth has something
vwjodyme

Postby tcsned » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 am

nope, Warmoth only does bolt neck instruments. Soul Mate guitars sells set neck style necks and has some advice for installation but I don't think he sells bodies too.
tcsned

Postby rkubik » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 pm

There is actually an unfinished mahogany kit with neck on E-bay for a relatively good price that includes hardware which I don't really care about but when looking at the hardware and the body there is no neck plate and the neck holes are not drilled while the rest of the hardware holes are pre-drilled for the body. Maybe I am wrong in assuming it is a set rather than a bolt but the evidence shows it to be a set.

I would ultimately prefer to get a stripped down SG without any electronics etc if the price is right but most of the used bodies I am seeing are more than what I want to pay at this time. Looking for a possible summer project so not in any hurry but if it is a pain in the ass to get the neck set correctly I may reconsider my plans.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Guitar Building and Mods