Hole question

Hole question

Postby broesau » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:28 pm

So I bought an old Ibanez Concert body, basically a poor man's artist w/ a bolt on neck. I'm going to buy a neck for it, but the holes for Ibanez necks are different than a standard neck. Sould I drill new holes in the neck pocket of the body or plug the holes in the neck and drill new holes there. I think I know the answer, bit I wanted some opinions. Does anybody here use threaded inserts for their bolt on necks? Thanks.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Hole question

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:54 pm

If it were me, it would depend on where the holes would end up in relation to the edge of the neck's heel and/or the body's edge, and how close the new holes would be to the originals. I'd be most likely to redrill the neck if all else were equal, just for cosmetic reasons. I might drill out the old holes and fill them with hardwood dowels, especially if they're close to the new ones.
Rusty the Scoob

Re: Hole question

Postby broesau » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:52 pm

For any Ibanez restorers out there reproguitarparts.com has a lot of great vintage ibanez parts. I found new pickup rings there, which are different because Ibanez for some reason has 2 adjustment screws on one side and only one on the other. They have tailpiece posts, knobs and even replacement cloud pieces made out of plastic to replace the old brass ones. Cool site. I'll post pics as things move on. Does anybody have an old Ibanez neck for sale?
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Guitar Building and Mods