JonnyBoy wrote:What did you use to strip it? You did an excellent job!! That's gonna be an awesome axe!!!
A big can of "elbow grease"!
Actually, I first tried a chemical stripper that was supposedly very concentrated and would tackle tough polyurethane. It didn't even get through the top layer. I quickly scrapped that idea and went to my friendly, neighborhood Lowe's and got a cheap Wagner Heat Stripper/Gun and a cabinet-type stripping tool. It proved to be a worthy tool. It had a variety of shapes and angles to strip with. I did the back first and I learned how hot and close to get the gun. I scorched the wood in a place or two... but not so bad that sanding didn't get to most of it. But that allowed me to know how to attack the neck (which was my big concern). I didn't want to change the contour by using any power sanding tools on the neck. So it was important to me to do a thorough stripping before I began hand sanding. I know its not going to be perfect. But for a first re-finishing project it appears to be heading in a good direction. I have been looking to the "Frankenwolf" thread for inspiration. I like that blonde look. I am not going to load it back up with poly- I'll oil it and keep it natural.
I'll post more progress pics as I continue to make more progress. I like the idea of the swimming pool route for the ease factor... but Moriarty Guitars has those nice brass rings. I'll have to weigh that decision as I get closer. I am also thinking about doing a round-over route on around the body edges to create a bit more uniformity in the edge shape. More to come...
You mentioned that you have done some woodworking/refinishing. What have you used to fill glue/joint voids? Specifically, there is a poorly planed/glued joint on the body wing and neck. It is solid but there is a recess. I would like to fill it with some type material prior to finishing. Any thoughts?
DSC02064 (Custom).JPG (118.72 KiB) Viewed 502 times
DSC02071 (Custom).JPG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 502 times
DSC02070 (Custom).JPG (48.16 KiB) Viewed 502 times
I decided the wood quality was just not good enough for clear finish. So I used a gunstock, water-based stain and finished it with TruOil. This is similar to tung oil but is linseed-based. It creates a lustre finish when applied and you "knock it down" using 0000 steel wool between coats. It ends up being more of a satin finish after rubbed with the steel wool and polished with a soft cloth. Its also used on gunstocks. For my first attempt, its certainly not perfect- there are many flaws that I easily notice. But it was a fun project.
I have not altered any of the wiring or original hardware. I wanted to get it back together and check it out before I decide if I want to dump anymore into it. That said, I don't really have much into it at this point except a few dollars in materials and sweat equity.
I uploaded some before and after pics to a web album:
Great Job Brutus, and I thought you were a beginner at all that
Yes chemical stripper can be a pain, the length of time it sets on the finish is the key, but too long is a disaster. yo have to go a little at a time to find the window. Yes the stripper guns are great and probably a better choice for this kind of thing, conssidering the attachments.