Fret board stickers

Re: Fret board stickers

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

as much as I play my guitar, some of the wolf stickers started peeling off. First a corner gets bent or pulled up and then, it is only a matter of time until it is getting fouled up in the string while playing. I have to say the ones that stuck well are holding up. It is the little accents that peeled off for me. i have taken a razor and cut off all the little snags before they became an issue. Either way they look really cool for 9 bucks. when I applied them I did clean the fretboard well.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby barefootdave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Somebody turned me on to reflective tape for side markers. Just use a hole punch (i used one end of my 3-hole punch) to cut out circular reflective markers, then use scissors to cut them into semi-circles. At that point they become fantastic side markers, which are visible on the darkest stage and easily removed once the romance is gone.

It worked so well, I just couldn't believe it. And I had been considering an Alembic style LED side marker upgrade. This cost about $0.75 and was almost as good as the $1,000 modification.

It was this experience that keeps me from being a total snob to cheap mods.

My two .02
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Jon S. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 am

People laugh at them ... until they see and play them. Here are my two J-casters - which one has all authentic inlay and which stickers? And the fretboard stickers are holding up perfectly over 6 months now (though I copped a backup set, too, just in case).

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby PaulJay » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Hey, has anyone used the wolf fret board stickers on their Ibanez Musician? If you did do you have a photo? Might get them for mine but just want to see what they look like on one. Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

I think its time to review the stickers I used for about a year now. I have had to remove the stickers, (or they fell off) except for the very back of the guitar. They looked AWESOME when I got them, they looked AWESOME for about 2 mos. After about 10 gigs and a 8 weekly practices, they started to curl on the ends. I started by using a razor blade and cutting the peeled off edge on (each side/top and bottom) so they looked good/linear. Then they started to move/slide either up or down (due to Mississippi heat/humidity me thinks).

Now I only have the way upper stickers near the pickups, its kinda 1/2 cool now. But THEY LOOKED SO COOL when I applied them. Perfect for guitars you rarely use or keep in climate control. I would do it again in a heart beat, you can buy ten packs (maybe 5 years worth) for under $100. That is still a value. Variables to consider: Temperature (out door gigs in humid areas), sweat factor, how much you play, how hard your touch is etc. once you bend an edge or curl it up, its the beginning of a short end. BUT,,, Everyone that looked at my guitar said, "awesome inlays!"....
JonnyBoy

Postby Jon S. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Johnny, were yours the Jockomo stickers or another brand?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Adam Deckard » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I posted a photo in this thread over a year ago (page 3 i think wolf inlays on an epiphone acoustic). I play that guitar 5 times a week about, and I have had no problems with them peeling. I take that guitar outside and play on the patio, to the beach, to our cabin in the mountains etc... They DID start to peel but not in the way which has been described so far. After you apply them with the cutouts of the clear plastic, there seems to be yet another thin layer of clear plastic over top of them that I think is supposed to be part of them but have since rubbed off of mine. my inlays if you feel them you will directly touch the shiny material there is no thin layer in between at all. Maybe I put them on wrong to begin with, but im telling you they are on there and they are solid. I also have VERY VERY high action on that thing but the frets are the same height so i imagine that wouldnt make any difference. Anyways, I love them! I have since taken off the tiger sticker at the bottom of my guitar and every time I meet new people they are always amazed at the inlay work done to my guitar, and I always laugh and tell em it only cost 9.99.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:22 am

Mine are from Japan. I would do it again! I just didn't get much mileage out of them. Maybe the wood is oily? Yea my thin layer of plastic went the first week.
JonnyBoy

Postby vwjodyme » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 am

Yeah, I had the same issue as jonnyboy. I would say after the first month the thin film started to peel, and the pointy edges soon followed. when i cut off the pointy edges they lasted a few more months. i still have one on the first fret...i guess the nut protects it...and i think it looks cool still with just the one.
also, i bought a vine one for my girlfriend's mim strat that is very rarely played, and they still look Great! The vines match the greenish color of the guitar so it looks real, and people think we have a super rare strat when they come over :lol:
vwjodyme

Postby ebick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:43 am

I took a shot......got the Tree Of Life for my Yairi DY-46.....whaddaya think?

Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby vwjodyme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:03 am

Nice match! looks perfect!
vwjodyme

Postby Jon S. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 am

After many pages of discussion, the only reminder I'd post is that we're talking here about a $15 or so set of stickers! They're easy, cheap, and fun, besides looking pretty cool - not real inlay! :smile:
Jon S.

Postby brutusbuck45 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 am

Irwin Eagle Inlay Sticker on Lotus Washburn Eagle project...
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby Yankee Tim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

On the headstock of my Phred...

Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gr8fulbluz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:54 am

I did it mostly for fun. I am very used to no inlay marker only side markers. It may look empty around the 12th fret but when you are used to it having that inlay there after all these years you don't notice.
I have emailed with him and he seems kind. I am tempted to get a custom 24th fret for my Carvin, but i dunno what it would say

Here i did all but the twelve fret on my alvarez ad-90-sck with wolf markers
before

and
after

another
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Gr8fulbluz/Guitar/IMG_1110.jpg
gr8fulbluz

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods