MusicianBud Mod

Re: MusicianBud Mod

Postby USBLUES » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm

The PUP Ring is too small so theres nothing to screw into, i measured wrong, may have to bulk it up with some hardwood or something.
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Yikes man sorry about that. Keep me posted on your progress.
jdsmodulus

Postby jkstraw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Ya man - sorry to hear you hit a snag, but you are blazing through the mod! I think your on the right track to correct the issue.

Out of curiosity are you grabbing the brass from MM or somewhere else?

Thanks for posting these pics man - amazing!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby USBLUES » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 am

Got the Brass from MM. Going to hit HomeDepot Scrap pile for some hardwood today, shoud fix the job, oh and ofcourse i need some more sanding bits for my cheapo dremmel, that tool has become my goto saviuor for this build, who woulda thunk it
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:09 am

Hey man -
Are the controls Tele knobs ?
Think thats what I went with too ....
( been so long I forget though ! )
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby USBLUES » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:25 am

Those are classic tele Knobs, they look awesome, i could have gone flat top or rounded, ended up going rounded and those are just like the ones on Rosebud, when i was first looking into this i realy didn't take the knobs into that much consideration and I was thinking about wire brushing the chrome off to get to the brass and age it like the pictures of Tiger, but after putting these sweet shiny knobs on my feelings are compeltely different, I love the shine and the rounded tops!!!
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 am

Also I think the best thing to do to get this PUP Ring right is to get wooden dowels and flatten one side, screw/glue right under the 6 screw holes on the ring. A solid piece of hardwood wouldn't work and would hit the middle of the pup's, its hard to explain, but i think this dowel fix is going to be easier, we will see, scrap pile here i come, im loving how this thing is looking, :peas:
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby aoguitars » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:32 am

Are those pickup routes too wide for that plate? Is that the problem? Those original Ibanez pups are some big honking shells.

As for your question about the shielding, if the the foil is conductive through the adhesive, then you don't technically need to solder the seams. Some foils out there are not conductive through the adhesive...either way, it can't hurt to solder them joints right up.

Project looks great!
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby jeffm725 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 pm

aoguitars wrote:Are those pickup routes too wide for that plate? Is that the problem? Those original Ibanez pups are some big honking

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the Ibanez Mod, the standard 3 pup rings people use for the Custom built jerry style guitars are NEVER wide enough to handle the width that the original Ibanez pups were. I ran into that myself. It's your deal but I would think about making a ring that has fatter sides to screw into the body rather than go the dowel rout.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby USBLUES » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:41 pm

The Wolf Pickup guard is the answer for this Mod, exchange is on the way,

The only 25k volume pot i could find was this. Not sure if its going to suck, is there a better one on the market that anyone knows about?

USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby USBLUES » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Finished the copper shielding, and all the controls are on! :peas:

USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:31 pm

looking good! Im curious, are you considering a plate for your 1/4 jacks? also what do you plan to do with the hole left from the 3 way switch on the upper horn? AO and I were discussing options here but I never decided. Im also thinking for me, to aquire a new Musician instead of carving the 500. Carry on good work!
jdsmodulus

Postby USBLUES » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:38 am

That hole for the three way is going to stay that way for a while, the only thing i can think of is a vol pot for midi or pezzi, but i don't have the cake for that right now and really just want to get her playing. I'm considering a jackplate but i can't decide, $$ is runnig out
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby bdhact1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:41 am

You can probably insert and glue a piece of dowel into the horn switch hole, then use matching varnish and clear coat over it. It will still look like a circle, but it's one alternative.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 am

1" Metal Steal Your Face Sticker

http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/SYF.html

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods