Top Quality Pots and Caps

Top Quality Pots and Caps

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 pm

I swear there was already a thread on here about finding the right pots and caps. But I can't seem to find it. Must of got lost when the site did some new organizing. Anyways I primarily play a Carvin sh65 with Waldos preamp and OBEL. Love it, great guitar but the pots are already failing on me. It's a PRS type setup with two humbuckers, 500k volume, 500k push/pull pot for coil split and thats it. I would like to get a new volume pot, and a new tone pot. I'm going to wire my own separate coil split switch so I can have a higher quality pot. At first I found the RS website http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php. This was my first option I found. I could buy a $6 dollar CTS 500k tone pot, a $15 "custom" superpot vol 500k pot, and their popular Jensen .022 cap.

I then found this website which carries PEC pots. http://www.tubesandmore.com/
Here I could buy a $10 Linear tone 500k pot by PEC, a 25$ volume pot 500k also by PEC, and a similar ,022 Jensen cap type cap by Alessandro for 17$. Yes, PEC are much more expensive but they are built tough as far as I know. Just don't know if these three would fit well.

Any advice?
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Top Quality Pots and Caps

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 pm

I have used the RC parts and find them to be of excellent quality. The tone pot and cap really opened up a guitar I have. The tone control now has a much wider sweep and provides much more varied and usable tones. These are the pots that they have made for them. I can't vouch for the $6 variety. They are also very helpful and friendly crew at RC.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:50 pm

have you tried a 25k log/audio volume pot?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby unnbrokenchain » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Nope I have not Waldo. I know Jerry used 25k. As far as I know the typical setup similar to mine usually incorporates two 500 k pots. One part of me wants to go down a path I'm familiar with, and the other part of me wants to go down that other path that is closer towards the sound. :roll: dunno. Probably will debate this with myself for the next couple months.
unnbrokenchain
Mickey
Mickey

Postby USBLUES » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a good source for 25k volume pots? Also I have a pair of super cheap ass .22 caps, are they going ot sound like crap or does it not make a difference?
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby erock » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 pm

USBLUES wrote:Can anyone recommend a good source for 25k volume pots? Also I have a pair of super cheap ass .22 caps, are they going ot sound like crap or does it not make a difference?

I just used a 25k pot from EMG. works like a charm for me. I don't think (though I will likely get flamed) that pot material will change the sound, only value. so if you go cheaper pot, it may have a wider tolerance and change your sound because of that.
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby bdhact1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:27 pm

With caps, because each one sounds slightly different, I usually buy a few and test them individually in the guitar and use the ones that sound the best with the whole system.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Griz » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:20 am

I did a search, but did not find.... please forgive me if I missed it...

Was just wondering if there is a recommended parts list anybody has put together for the S-H-H configuration

I have seen the diagrams, but not a succinct "list"... are there better brands/part numbers I should be chasing, as the build gets closer.....

Would much rather do this wiring exercise just once........

THANKS

Griz
Griz
tiger
tiger

Return to Guitar Building and Mods