A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby jmfranc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 am

That is stunning Leo. They just keep getting better!
User avatar
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Jon S. wrote:Believe me, Leo, I'm praying now for continued sun and low humidity in the Dallas-Ft. Worth region. :D


+1. Phil Gawan lives in Brownsville and part of the loooong delay with my Tiger was temperature/humidity finish problems. Can't you use an air conditioned room to control the climate- or does that put too much dust in the air?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby softmachine72 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 pm

I do spray in climate control but, it vents to the outside and that humidity can interfere with the finish. Issues with moisture in a finish like blushing, come from the compressor because, it is pulling moist air in and compressing it and adding heat. Hot air holds more moisture so as it moves along the lines to your spray gun it cools and condenses at the dew point. The Dew point is the point at which water vapor condenses in compressed air. I do have pretty nice inline driers and moisture indicators to tell me if there is any moisture in the lines to avoid that kind of problem.There is no threat of finish issues now when the guitars are basically dry to the touch but, the sun does allow the guitar to dry faster. When it is raining like to day I can't put the guitars out in the sun. sorry for long winded technical answer.
User avatar
softmachine72
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 am
Location: Dallas Tx

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:03 am

I like my guitars like I like my tomatoes - sun-dried. :lol:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby tcsned » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Woo-hoo! Can't wait!!!
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:17 pm

For now, a quick cell phone pic (when I get around to it maybe more).

Image
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Awesome! Mine should only be a few days behind yours. Congrats!!
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:06 am

That is a beauty! More pics...more pics!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
User avatar
hippieguy1954
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 pm
Location: Upstate, NY

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby rugger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

Jon S. wrote:For now, a quick cell phone pic (when I get around to it maybe more).

Image


Bridge pup angle? Is this a deliberate choice? Curious what the thinking was.

john in san diego
rugger
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 am

Your're the 3rd person to ask me about this today. Here's a mash of how I replied previously, keeping in mind that Leo Elliot ("Mr. Scarlet Fire") asks you, before the build, which angling you prefer and, as he does with everything, you get to have it your way. :smile:

As you may have gathered from my posts here generally, despite the intense effort I do put into acquiring and using excellent gear, I'm not a purist. For me, the past gets a vote but not a veto.

For example, on my Wolf, I requested locking tuners. Do I care that Jerry never used them on Wolf? Not one bit. I don't have a roady to replace my broken strings during a gig. I like locking tuners.

I've never dug how Strat bridge PUPs sound. Leo Fender was going for a thin and very bright tone there. That's a tone I myself have zero use for. I think it's excellent to reverse the bridge PUP angle, it gives great definition and bite to the bassier strings and takes the icepick off of the treblier strings while evening out their relative volumes.

Other than on a Tele, I've never liked the classic Fender bridge PUP angle. So, when Leo Elliot offered me the choice, I went with his preferred approach. But don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely NOT trying to convince you to "be like Jon." If you're happy with a stock Strat's bridge PUP and actually use it when you play as Leo Fender oriented it, all the power to you. :cool:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby tatittle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

I know exactly what you mean re: bridge pups Jon. I have never tried a reverse slant...how much difference does it make in real life I wonder?

I am so jealous...if I had been a good boy I could be preparing to enjoy one of these beauties. Mama tried :)
tatittle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am
Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby tatittle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

I know exactly what you mean re: bridge pups Jon. I have never tried a reverse slant...how much difference does it make in real life I wonder?

I am so jealous...if I had been a good boy I could be preparing to enjoy one of these beauties. Mama tried :)
tatittle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am
Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby rugger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Jon S. wrote:Your're the 3rd person to ask me about this today. Here's a mash of how I replied previously, keeping in mind that Leo Elliot ("Mr. Scarlet Fire") asks you, before the build, which angling you prefer and, as he does with everything, you get to have it your way. :smile:

As you may have gathered from my posts here generally, despite the intense effort I do put into acquiring and using excellent gear, I'm not a purist. For me, the past gets a vote but not a veto.

For example, on my Wolf, I requested locking tuners. Do I care that Jerry never used them on Wolf? Not one bit. I don't have a roady to replace my broken strings during a gig. I like locking tuners.

I've never dug how Strat bridge PUPs sound. Leo Fender was going for a thin and very bright tone there. That's a tone I myself have zero use for. I think it's excellent to reverse the bridge PUP angle, it gives great definition and bite to the bassier strings and takes the icepick off of the treblier strings while evening out their relative volumes.

Other than on a Tele, I've never liked the classic Fender bridge PUP angle. So, when Leo Elliot offered me the choice, I went with his preferred approach. But don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely NOT trying to convince you to "be like Jon." If you're happy with a stock Strat's bridge PUP and actually use it when you play as Leo Fender oriented it, all the power to you. :cool:


I figured there was some reason. :-) No judgments here, just curious. So, honest question, have you tried a guitar with the reversed bridge and does it give you what you want? I've never played one let alone seen one (and to give you a sense of just how in the know I am, I had never seen a b bender until a few years ago).

Part of me really aches for a Wolf, I'm jealous of you guys.

Btw, I think I can make a strat bridge sing. ;-)

John in San Diego
rugger
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

rugger wrote:So, honest question, have you tried a guitar with the reversed bridge and does it give you what you want?

You do realize I own the Wolf pictured in my post above, correct?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: A few on the bench At Scarlet Fire

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

[double post deleted]
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest