Tiger is Quilted ?!?!?

Re: Tiger is Quilted ?!?!?

Postby softmachine72 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:52 pm

The weight comes from the use of Cocobolo for the top and the brass binding, the solid brass knobs, the mil spec pots, brass triple ring, and the brass all the way around the instrument. These are things that are not on most instruments an have to add 2 lbs. I went out to my shop and weighed the amount of binging needed for a fretboard, a triple ring , a tail piece and three knobs and the weighed 12.9 ozs. That is not even everything i listed and it is approaching a lb. Add the other components and weight of cocobolo and a 11lb guitar becomes 13 lbs.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm

softmachine72 wrote:The weight comes from the use of Cocobolo for the top and the brass binding, the solid brass knobs, the mil spec pots, brass triple ring, and the brass all the way around the instrument. These are things that are not on most instruments an have to add 2 lbs. I went out to my shop and weighed the amount of binging needed for a fretboard, a triple ring , a tail piece and three knobs and the weighed 12.9 ozs. That is not even everything i listed and it is approaching a lb. Add the other components and weight of cocobolo and a 11lb guitar becomes 13 lbs.

Now carve it out, and chamber it, will it stay 13lbs?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm no expert, but I've seen Tiger's weight stated as anywhere between 11 and 13.5 pounds. I'm thinking that 13. 5 might be an "outlier"? The SG/Wolf I just built weighs 10.2- no cocobolo, mahogany neck, and no brass runners or neck binding, and it should be thinner than Tiger (it's 1 3/8"). The purpleheart is a heavy wood too.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby softmachine72 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:57 am

For what it is worth Tom said the Tiger is between 2 and 2.25 in thick at it's thickest point. He said his Replicas are 2 in. thick.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zambiland » Tue May 06, 2014 8:57 pm

williamsaut wrote:Well, there you have it. From someone who should know. And I'll say this could be a serious missing link when it come to getting closer to the sound we're all looking for.

It's been stated in this thread that alembic use this technique extensively in building their guitars which would be news to me also. In fact, years ago when the Garcia tribute first came out, I remember a build thread of it and Alembics Garcia tribute guitar was not semi hollow.

What guitars did they make semi hollow? What other 'hippie sandwich" guitars ARE semi hollow. What guitars have been built as Solid body construction 'semi hollow' design.

Most, if not all, of the basses that Alembic made in the first 10 years or so had hollow wings, or semi-hollow, or whatever we are calling it. These are the instruments that became known as the Series I and Series II. Other models share this construction technique. My guess is that over the years, they have made far fewer actual solid bodies than instruments with wings that are more hollow than not. Perhaps an adaptation from their work with Starfires? You'd have to ask Rick and the other early luthiers at Alembic. If you knock on any of those instruments, it becomes quickly obvious.
zambiland

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am

I'll just post this one pic from the fascinating Tiger workshop at Tom Lieber's- he said this would be sure to get the chatter buzzing again. We put this core together as part of the workshop. As stated in the previous post, this was an Alembic build tradition and Doug Irwin had trained at Alembic before going off on his own. The reason for the technique may have been as much conservation of materials and weight reduction as trying to get a particular tone. You can cut both core sides out of a smaller laminated piece of wood- you trace them out interlocked and scroll saw them out- less waste. The cocobolo top and back glue over the core. Thus sayith the man who was there and did it- thanks for sharing, Tom.

Another link in the Tiger saga. So now all us "doubting Thomases" (no pun intended) can see what it looked like:

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby milobender » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Hmmmm..... since I'm not into mass production, that level of 'material saving' never occurred to me. I never worry about it. And, no disrespect intended, I prefer to use a one-piece core for set-neck and bolt-on neck designs whenever possible. If not possible, at least just two pieces joined at the centerline. I wouldn't feel comfortable using different pieces of wood for the for the center like this.... I'd want the bridge, and the neck, mounted right into to core pieces.... regardless of the 'waste'.

Interesting... thanks! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Brian- On Tom's site he says that for THE Tiger they made up a center block of the same core material laminate sandwich. Hindsight is 20/20- that was all part of the "change of plans" going from neck-through to set neck.

As Tom says- he'll buid you a replica of the original Tiger, but if you want him to build in all the mistakes they made along the way it's going to cost you big time. ;-)

TI4-1009

Postby milobender » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Yeah, I heard a saying, can't remember who said it now, and I'll have to para-phrase, that goes something like: "Your talent isn't measured by how well you do when things go right, it's measured by how well you do when things go wrong" ... that's the gist of it anyway :smile: :smile: :smile:

Nothing like a 'small change of plans' to get things going in every direction :D
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods