Steve's Special pickup

Steve's Special pickup

Postby tatittle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:45 pm

I have been trying out several pickups lately, mostly ones I picked up real cheap rather than ones I had chosen specific for their tone. I did have an eye on Jerry like tone when I found a Steve's Special DiMarzio though, and I think it is my favorite of the ones I tested recently. Granted, I have a tendency to appreciate the novelty of a new tone/pickup and then gradually drawback my love as the limitations become more evident with time.

I put it in the bridge position of my 1st OBEL SHH strat. I was really happy with the clarity and EQ, and its performance with my Mutron III. It is really high output (18+ ohms) but is designed/EQ'd to be clean and clear even with significant distortion. Now I want to flip it so the active coil is Neck side rather than bridge, and also try one in the middle. I have only noodled around at home so far, but I look forward to trying it with a full line-up.

Just ordered another ($35. delivered new)...Ill try it in the middle. maybe Ill get around to posting some clips since all this is academic. I just have no patience for all the gruntwork. lol
I have noticed that totally clean this pickup has a bit of an out of phase sound going on...not as extreme as actually out of phase, but the EQ may have similarities.
tatittle
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Guitar Building and Mods