Mass produced. LOL actually not the CU22 but PRS is onto Jerry. :smile:

Peace,

James

James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Rosebud Middle PUP

Postby Bobbybriand » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:08 am

Yes I know thats a limited run. What is the date of the SG? Don't even think you'll find that on Gibson or Epiphone website. Theyre cheapos thats why they don't make em and the ones you posted is very rare n there's wood in between the pups and that eliminates the out of phase magnets. If you guys take em apart it aint an open cavity it has wood walls between each one. I was just at a guitar center in Michigan and not one axe in the store(1000's of guitars) had a sweet spot bucker. Only a handful of guitars Carvin and PRS had a single coil in the middle w/north n south buckers.
What is the philosophy behind those dust covers or metal covers? I heard theyre made from nickel or silver plated(good ones). How does that not affect the unexposed poles? Ive taken apart several and some have two white wires tucked in between coils not even connected together and then another one had the 2 hidden wires connected.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby Bobbybriand » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:09 am

James-T wrote:Mass produced. LOL actually not the CU22 but PRS is onto Jerry. :smile:

Peace,

James

Who makes this beauty wow????? Is it a PRS?
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 pm

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Bobbybriand wrote:Yes I know thats a limited run. What is the date of the SG? Don't even think you'll find that on Gibson or Epiphone website.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/F ... utfit.aspx

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Bobbybriand » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Well if an entire guitar center in Mich and two music stores in my town dont have any I dont think the priority on the assembly line is the H-H-H. Nice to see though especially if u can split the middle on one of em.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby Bobbybriand » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Here's your North and South with neck being North tail being South.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 pm

waldo041 wrote: In the old days (before my time) they called the neck the "low" pickup and the bridge the "high" pickup. This is because the farther away from the bridge a pickup gets the lower it's frequency response becomes, the high end begins to drop off. The closer a pickup gets to the bridge the higher it's frequency response becomes, the low end begins to drop off.

In other words:

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:28 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
waldo041 wrote: In the old days (before my time) they called the neck the "low" pickup and the bridge the "high" pickup. This is because the farther away from the bridge a pickup gets the lower it's frequency response becomes, the high end begins to drop off. The closer a pickup gets to the bridge the higher it's frequency response becomes, the low end begins to drop off.

In other words:

Exactly!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby James-T » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey Bobby, - Yes its a PRS. I bought that baby in Tampa at Legend Guitars in 2006. Its a CU 22. I played darn near ever guitar in that shop and was hoping for a trans orange top but this one sounded the most Jerry to my ears. Add it was used. Its a 2002. Really abalone, and amazing wood grains. It was my third electric and my first really nice (or at least expensive) one. My main guitar up to that time was an USA Stratocaster.

Its probably the most played live in my small collection and I've already refretted it after three fret levelling jobs. Some doctor owned it before me and probably never played it.

PRS does not make a 3 hum bucker model. I think they should. This was my brain child, based on ideas I read about on RUKind, but with the 22 fret model you can route out the third pick-up and still have PU rings. I put a BK Stormy Monday in the bridge position. Never did bond with the stock Dragon II treble pup. That middle pup is a dual sound - sort of a special order to get the gold cover but they do offer it in that - but noone carries it. they had to make it for me at Dimarzio. I ordered three rings so the cream colour would match.

Its got a 5 way rotary PU selector, but its not the stock PRS unit - that one was proprietary and works differently than what I wanted - the standard stratocaster style selector. The toggles trigger the pick-up splits.

My luthier was at first really hesitant to do this mod but figured if Gibson has SG's and LP's set up this way why not - but when he finished the job he was incurably proud of his work!

The other thing is - they say mahogany guitars are pretty dark sounding. This thing is actually really bright. I attribute that to the fact every piece of wood is musically different. Like the way some people say that Pigpen was black on the inside. :smile:

I could have posted this in "show us your Jerry Inspired guitars" - but its much more than a Jerry guitar so what the heck eh? Here are two more pics.

Peace,

James

James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby gmchart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm sure this has been covered in other threads, but how do you discover which is the north and which is the south side of a humbukker before you install it?
gmchart
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 am

Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Bobbybriand » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 am

The original statement was when I mentioned North being towards neck with guitar standing straight up and splitting making North Coil active. South is the tail. It wasn't about rhythm or treble(nice comparison Gibson) in Gibson terminology. treble and rhythm don't even go together. Bass and Treble or how about rhythm and lead???? So Gibson wants me to strum in the rhythm position? LOL
Nice smaller picture explaining North and South. You can tell the north coil by reading the markings on the back. If the words aren't upside down than North coil is at the top. Thats a gimmee saying the bridge pup is treblee and thin. Its right beside the bridge. Here's a test : Go and and pluck the open strings with your pick up between the nut and 1st fret. Pretty treblee sound from there too. The bridge position using north coil I only find it useful for my rotary pedal and OC-2.
Yeah wow love that prs James. I can see youve got the right pup in the middle for sweetness.
Also my north coil middle bucker is exactly 3 1/2 inches from 3rd string saddle. Any other measurements especially replicas out there? Lets put our numbers together.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 am

With the Dimarzio stamp right side up in the cavity or placed in the cavity "stock", the North coil is South and the South coil is North. So, if you use the stock coil cut wiring with black and white to ground it renders the North coil active and you must physically flip the pickup so that it is "Neck side" when cut. Someone depicted this precisely for a reason on their schematic so that it was easily duplicated.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Building and Mods