OBEL Junction Box Question

OBEL Junction Box Question

Postby JamGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Where are the ground wires in this diagram? I'd like to put one of these together but it seems like there would need to be some ground wires but I'm not sure where… thanks!
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: OBEL Junction Box Question

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm

The sleeve of each jack is assumed to be screwed down against a metal enclosure essentially grounding each one to one another. Although it will do no harm to just wire each sleeve lug together in a daisy chain fashion.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JamGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. I've been thinking of hand painting it and calling it the "Box of Rain" ( I do live in Oregon after all). I'd like to use a stomp box button instead of a toggle to switch between straight to the amp or through the effects loop. I just need to track down an on/on button if there is such a thing… I'll check out the pedal parts sites.

BTW, I'm looking forward to installing the preamp I just ordered from you… :-) cheers, JG

Would this work? You'll have to pardon my ignorance, I'm still in the learning stages of how electronics in general work, though I am handy with soldering so long as I have a VERY clear plan to follow and know what parts I need.
http://effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=28
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:21 pm

This box is not an OBEL box like what Jerry devised for his guitars. This box is used for rerouting the signal for use with an OBEL equipped guitar OR a Standard NON-OBEL guitar.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JamGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:49 pm

I think I've got it… it's the 3rd toggle on the guitar (not the coil splitting toggles) that sends the signal through the effects loop or straight to the amp.
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby gpilcher2001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm

You could use a 3pdt stomp switch like the ones they use in true bypass pedals....
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JamGuy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 pm

I finally got the stereo cable this week and was able to take the guitar for a full-test drive… the box and guitar wiring all worked on the first go, I was pretty stoked! I've just been messing with my pedals to dial in EQ and levels so switching between FX/no FX is smooth. It is pretty cool to be able to have the envelope filter set and always get the same effect at any volume.

Thanks again to those of you who chimed in and helped answer my questions :-)
Cheers, JamGuy
JamGuy
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:14 pm

JamGuy wrote:It is pretty cool to be able to have the envelope filter set and always get the same effect at any volume.

That's what Jerry said!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Return to Guitar Building and Mods