Buffer and Booster - Separate circuits, same Board

Buffer and Booster - Separate circuits, same Board

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey!
So the last few years Ive been working on my own buffer and booster circuits, based on the basics. After building nearly 200 guitars with effects loops, and various buffers, I've come up with my own twist. I still will install CAEs, or Waldos, or whoevers in the guitars designed. I dont think there is a "one size fits all" circuit. BUT most of the time I have wanted more flexibility and since I dont build "clone" guitars, I tend to not need to go with the purist style buffers. So my new version has the buffer (single transistor) and the Booster (single transistor) circuits on one board, but also somewhat independent (they share the same battery). I wire the buffer right after the pickups, and the booster right before the output jack. And usually with on/off switches, and a outboard gain knob for the booster, that delivers 0-6 db. OR an alternat version with the on board trim pot. Ive done about the last 30 guitars with this circuit.
I hope you wont take this as spamming,because iI really am not converned with selling these. I do sell them for $100,but like I said, i really don't need to sell any.
Mostly I just want this to be available to anyone looking for this.

and a video kind of demonstrating this.

Right on!
Scott
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Buffer and Booster - Separate circuits, same Board

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 pm

nice stuff scott!

i found that using a switch and lifting the ground of the trimpot and gain cap on the alembic blaster turns it into a simple transistor buffer, switch those back to ground and the adjustable gain is reintroduced. not 2 seperate circuits, but something akin to what you have going on. i find that the transistor based circuit of the blaster does not drive long runs of cable without a significant gain boost. so this mod i have does not suit the OBEL all that well with its long run of cables. how does your transistor based circuit fair with long cable runs in the buffer portion of the circuit?

again, very cool circuits you have!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks man!
Looking at my buffer circuit, its really different than the blaster, im not sure what the deal is by doing the blaster 'buffer conversion". It seems like a cool idea though. And I havent noticed any loss in gain in the cable run. But Ive only really tried it with my home cabling, which is 3 legs of 15'. And most people with my guitars have approximately this length in cable. Ill look into it though.
Right on!
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:29 am

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:Thanks man!
Looking at my buffer circuit, its really different than the blaster, im not sure what the deal is by doing the blaster 'buffer conversion". It seems like a cool idea though.
Right on!

Simple, it is to have the buffer always in circuit and the boost portion to be toggled in at will. Like an onboard effect, with a buffered bypass.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Right, I gues I meant by doing your "booster converted into a buffer", im noit sure exactly what the deal is there, electronically. But with my circuit,that is pretty much how my guitars are wired, with the additional toggle for the buffer, so to get more of the traditional tones, or when your battery is dead.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Chinarider1A » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

Scott,

So the buffer can be on and then the booster layered on top?

Thanks, Dave
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby waldo041 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:45 pm

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:Right, I gues I meant by doing your "booster converted into a buffer", im noit sure exactly what the deal is there, electronically. But with my circuit,that is pretty much how my guitars are wired, with the additional toggle for the buffer, so to get more of the traditional tones, or when your battery is dead.

Same thing can happen with the buffer/blaster, stick in an additional switch and all of it can be bypassed. However, if in circuit it will need the dual ganged high/low impedance potentiometer. Some have, and i do believe Brian at 9mileskid.com has incorporated the same kind of concept in his guitars utilizing a buffer and blaster or even a tubescreamer. My concept was to utilize one circuit to do both. That all said, I really dig what you have going on! I know you been looking to find your own thing for your guitars, did cutler or wickersham help in the design?

Here is my take on the blaster, same parts used as the original unlike the modern version.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 am

(Man I subsribe to threads, but never get emails??)

Yeah very cool, the parts are so simple and i think thats where the beauty is.
ALthough my circuit is based on the classics, I did tweak a few things and mostly components selection. Hours and hours listening, playing and testing. But in the end its pretty basic.
Kimock has been one of my main ears on the thing, having a few versions of it and most of them in some kind of box. Bill Krinard from Two Rock has helped with some design stuff, as well as component selection. And Brad Sarno has helped me refine the circuit and suggested values, and component placement to achieve what im looking for.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby rugger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:31 pm

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:(Man I subsribe to threads, but never get emails??)

Bill Krinard from Two Rock has helped with some design stuff, as well as component selection. And Brad Sarno has helped me refine the circuit and suggested values, and component placement to achieve what im looking for.

Those are some heavy-weights as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for sharing, Scott! Very cool stuff.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Dave, sorry i missed that question. Yes the buffer can be on or off, and the booster can be on or off, Both on or both off, Wired in series as one, Buffer hardwired on and booster with toggle,etc.... A flexible circuit.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Griffyote » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 am

I was just wondering last week where I might get the hardware to do something like this. The electronics is certainly not my area of expertise.I will let it set on my brain for a week or even a few months and I'm sure I will have a question about it. :cool:
DG
Griffyote
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Guitar Building and Mods