TRRS for OBEL?

TRRS for OBEL?

Postby NorthboundRain » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Has anyone ever tried using a TRRS cable for an OBEL? I'm thinking about it and it seems like it should work. I'd like to find 1/4' sized cables and jacks but a quick google search only turned up 1/8" hardware.

Breakout board 2x (one in the guitar, one in a pedal casing)
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11570

And a cable
http://www.l-com.com/audio-video-stereo ... ale-200-ft

Those would work but if I could find 1/4" hardware I figure I could wire a switch for the OBEL so it could be bypassed if a regular guitar cable was used. That way you could put and OBEL and a Push/Pull pot into any guitar and not have to drill another hole for the 2nd output jack.

Can any of you electronics gurus tell me why this wouldn't work or why I wouldn't want to try it?

Does anyone know where I could find 1/4" TRRS jacks and cables?
NorthboundRain
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: TRRS for OBEL?

Postby mgbills » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 am

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd test it. I've thought about using a 7 pin XLR as well.

I would think that you are setting yourself up for a ground loop issue. Without the extra lead to ground/shield the j-box, you're setting yourself up for noise in the signal chain (hum, RF).

I've been waiting to test until I find a guitar with a nice fat control cavity. Changing this stuff in a Strat is just too time consuming.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 am

Man I search the component companies avery year at the NAMM show, looking for this, talking with the engineers and such. I cant find any 1/4" TRRS jacks. Like you pointed out, only 1/8". ALso the 7 pin thing or whatever could be a great alternative, but yeah then you loose the 1/4" mono option.
I know it can be made, and done, its just doing it or finding the source for it.

Anyway...not much help other than I have searched far and wide for this component, with no luck.

I think mjbills has it right though, crosstalk will be an issue. Unless (i think) its buffered on both ends.

Scott
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm

You heard it hear first at rukind.

The main hurdle with trying this approach is that you forfeit the use of standard cables. The user will need a backup at all times.

The U-174/U is about the width of a 1/4" plug but not as long. Should do the job with with the correct cable. No crosstalk in the aviation industry using them.

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/ ... atalog.pdf

Your welcome, i take paypal for my research and development! :cool: :P 8)

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Awesome Waldo.

Now which one of us is going to try the experiment? Draw straws?

I guess it should be me. Waldo found the connectors (and 62,000 other tidbits). Scott supplied the cool "How To" on splitting Super 2's (and abundant other professional advise).

Time to tear up another MIM Strat.
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

mgbills wrote:Awesome Waldo.

Now which one of us is going to try the experiment? Draw straws?

I guess it should be me. Waldo found the connectors (and 62,000 other tidbits). Scott supplied the cool "How To" on splitting Super 2's (and abundant other professional advise).

Time to tear up another MIM Strat.

If you can fit that jack on the boat and in the cavity of a Strat, I would think you'd have a winner Marty. unfortunately the don't make a right angle plug.

Good Luck!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mgbills » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm

The first Tigerized Strat I built, I made a jig to do a 7/8th" bore into the side. I used that for the OBEL, and used the standard jack for the output. I'm considering the Nexus 5 conductor jack to use the full configuration. It would be nice if it were locking, but one could always do the "strap-wrap" to insure that the plugged stayed in.

What do you think...5 conductor Belden cable?

Peace
M
mgbills

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm

waldo041 wrote:You heard it hear first at rukind.

The main hurdle with trying this approach is that you forfeit the use of standard cables. The user will need a backup at all times.

The U-174/U is about the width of a 1/4" plug but not as long. Should do the job with with the correct cable. No crosstalk in the aviation industry using them.

~waldo

Man you got mad Googlin' skills Waldo!! HAAA!! (note brotherly loving sarcasm font used!)

Ill draw the short straw and definitely try that thing out. Send me one!!
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:54 pm

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:
waldo041 wrote:You heard it hear first at rukind.

~waldo

Man you got mad Googlin' skills Waldo!! HAAA!! (note brotherly loving sarcasm font used!)

Ill draw the short straw and definitely try that thing out. Send me one!!

I had worked in the aviation industry for a small GA airport in Illinois before movin over to my current day job in the Railroad industry as an FCC Licensed Radio Maintainer. I have known about these plugs and the many other the aviation side use, but the light bulb didn't go off until i was tasked with repairing some Dave Clark headsets for some track maintenance guys at the railroad. I don't stock these plugs and jacks, so that is where the googling came in. totally goofing with the R&D paypal line! :lol: but i am more then happy to hand the ball off and watch you guys run with it.

as far as cable, i would be looking for a type that has the OBEL (send & return) shielded seperately from the input, or 3 seperately shielded conductors.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am

DanG Waldo! Thats pretty cool, I knew you were at the airport a while back. Congrats on the change.
Ill get to work on the plug and cable, ill be sure to post my findings.
Right on!
Scott
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby mgbills » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am

Wow! That is awesome fellas. I had not moved much beyond conception & parts. Stupid job gets in the way of all my guitar fun.
mgbills

Postby gmchart » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:24 pm

This has sure been a fun one to watch. "A" has an idea. "B" says I been thinkin' about that too. "C" chimes in with "I think I can get the parts" and LO and Behold we're witnesses to a PROJECT!
gmchart
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby mgbills » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 am

To insure accuracy...I'll admit to doing an assay of parts. I also entertained a nice black MIM Strat on CL.

I will note the following:
My thoughts were that the Nexus TP-105 plug, and TJT-105 jack. This jack has 5 solder leads from the rear and does not use the casing as a conductor.

I have not yet found wire yet with 2 semi-isolated conductors. But I assume it exists.

I'm not an electrician, but I play one on TV. http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/46/9941-65507.pdf
This looks to me like the bundle is shielded but not the individual conductors. I'll ask my electrician. He'll know where to find the right wire.
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 am

mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 am

look for something like the mogami 2930 snake cable.

~waldo
waldo041

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods