Strat JG Wiring = JerryCaster

Strat JG Wiring = JerryCaster

Postby waldo041 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks to Marty Bills for the awesome Pickguard. Finally got around to routing and rewiring my mim strat with mighty mite neck.

http://photobucket.com/jerrycaster

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: Strat JG Wiring = JerryCaster

Postby mkaufman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Congrats!

Let's hear it!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm

Awesome Waldo! Glad that worked out for you.

I'll try to post some photos of Pete B's. Master Tone Tiger later this week. His has the HHS configuration with the volume where Tone 1 usually resides. I see you had a little space above your control cavity. Had this issue with Pete's as well. I'll have to rework the control cover with Terrapin. Seems like a kerf is off somewhere. Sorry about that!

Thanks to you we have measurements on correct pickup positions!

The whole holiday/New Years Show thing has me drained of mental energy. I don't suggest returning to work after the following setlist. 3 Days in SF > Joan Osbourne/Mark Karan > Pilgrimage to Gryphon Guitars (was supposed to be Santa Cruz Guitars to play a Scott Walker, but that wouldn't added another 2+ hours travel) > Further New Years > Crazy SF All night New Years > 12 hour drive to Oly, WA.

When my Lovelight comes back on, I'll get things posted.
Awesome...as always.
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Also, where do you get your switches? I'm not using the StewMac stuff again. The DiMarzio seemed a bit better. Love to find a mil-spec dp/dt.

Thanks again for all your help!
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby catman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am

Waldo,
I have just been reading up on the history of Jerry's "Alligator" strat on your very informative site. I particularly love that era of Garcia's sound and playing. I hadn't realized that the mods were that extensive - I knew about the stratoblaster, but not much else.

So I'm curious about this strat you are building. What features of "Alligator" did you choose to incorporate, which did you leave off, and why? I realize that you aren't trying to re-create that guitar, but were you inspired by that early's 70's Jerry sound? Why the humbuckers (are they coil tapped?), why the Mighty Mite, etc.

Just really curious!

Thanks
catman
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:45 pm

catman wrote:Waldo,
I have just been reading up on the history of Jerry's "Alligator" strat on your very informative site. I particularly love that era of Garcia's sound and playing. I hadn't realized that the mods were that extensive - I knew about the stratoblaster, but not much else.

So I'm curious about this strat you are building. What features of "Alligator" did you choose to incorporate, which did you leave off, and why? I realize that you aren't trying to re-create that guitar, but were you inspired by that early's 70's Jerry sound? Why the humbuckers (are they coil tapped?), why the Mighty Mite, etc.

Just really curious!

Thanks

Thanks has to go out to RiverRat for the awesome lineage info he put together for that alligator page. I edited some of the details of the mods, but he pretty much laid it out.

My preferred era is the 80's to early 90's, Tiger and Rosebud. Being a strat there are some things that will reflect what was done on alligator. I used a custom shop hard-tail bridge that incorporates a tailpiece that fits over the trem cavity which was gutted. I did have to relocate the bridge about a 1/4" away from the neck to get it to intonate correctly with the high action it has. The custom bridge also has saddles which have more height adjustment range then stock strat saddles that allow for a jerry setup. I also used a custom made brass string tree bar to get the proper tension on the low e, a, d and g strings. I guess these could be aspects taken from alligator, but they are also found in his custom guitars. He didn't need the string trees with the angled headstock though. I used the mighty mite neck for the ebony fretboard and jumbo frets. And i wired it up like Tiger but with the neck super 2 like Rosebud. They are all coil tapped. I opted for a battery box, and put the buffer in the empty trem cavity. I used a custom pick-guard ( thanks marty)that has a removable control cavity as well as custom pickup placement ala Tiger and Rosebud. To top it all off i custom made a scalloped brass nut for it.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tatittle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Guess I am a bit late to this party...but I noticed the bridge and I am intrigued. You mention it is a "custom shop"; does that mean homemade? It looks like the screw holes on top match up with a 2 point trem mount.

I just finished wiring up my first SDS-1 Strat after catching the Jerry bug---or shall I just greater love for say melodic, soulful AND diversely competent musicians. I was suprised at how much noise I get upon 1st test. Still no neck on the guitar, it is shielded, with SDS-1 an RWRP in the middle. My house is terribly bad for single coils...almost any gig etc is a major improvement. But since I dont use them in home playing I cant get in the habit of using them yet. Tried a homemade dummy coil on vintage SCoils which I wasnt too happy with.
And here I thought my 1st jerry-try would not lead to more quests!
tatittle
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Return to Guitar Building and Mods