Low-Independence Bass pickups

Re: Low-Independence Bass pickups

Postby 1dallek1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:35 pm

zambiland wrote:
1dallek1 wrote:
zambiland wrote:You haven't tried Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats, from the sound of things. Low tension bass string, similar to the Pyramid Golds of yore (and of Phil and Jack's starfires, etc.). Very different string and can nail a lot of the Phil tones, especially ca. 1970-76 or so. He started using D'Addario halfrounds around then and I'm not sure it was an improvement, but the Golds were gone by then. They're back but QC is an issue. So, I'd say a set of Jazz Flats should be in your future. My low impedance Alembic pickups love them.

correct me if I’m wrong I've had this discussion with mica and others, alembic's pickup strategy isn’t low impedance, its low magnetism. they use a pickup with a low magnetic field so as not to dampen the strings in a magnetic field, but to let them vibrate freely and then run it through amplification. the low impedance if it needs to be recognized comes later in the buffering, which by the way is buffered twice sending and return. it's just that referring to the pickups as low impedance as if that is its strong point may be barking up the wrong tree. again a simple posting of this on the alembic site would yield tons of useful information
ns

This is true to a certain extent, but they did experiment with low impedance pickups. My '73 Series pickups are around 800 ohms or so. that's pretty low. It's also got low magnetism. The preamp card is crucial with these pickups, which do seem to sound different than other Alembic Series pickups I've played. The low end seems clearer and deeper. My understanding is that the newer ones are more correctly designated medium impedance.

hi '73 by any chance do you have the dummy load/pickup in the middel for noise canceling?
!!! ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION !!!
1dallek1
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Low-Independence Bass pickups

Postby Philsland » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:53 pm

1dallek1 wrote:
zambiland wrote:You haven't tried Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats, from the sound of things. Low tension bass string, similar to the Pyramid Golds of yore (and of Phil and Jack's starfires, etc.). Very different string and can nail a lot of the Phil tones, especially ca. 1970-76 or so. He started using D'Addario halfrounds around then and I'm not sure it was an improvement, but the Golds were gone by then. They're back but QC is an issue. So, I'd say a set of Jazz Flats should be in your future. My low impedance Alembic pickups love them.

correct me if I’m wrong I've had this discussion with mica and others, alembic's pickup strategy isn’t low impedance, its low magnetism. they use a pickup with a low magnetic field so as not to dampen the strings in a magnetic field, but to let them vibrate freely and then run it through amplification. the low impedance if it needs to be recognized comes later in the buffering, which by the way is buffered twice sending and return. it's just that referring to the pickups as low impedance as if that is its strong point may be barking up the wrong tree. again a simple posting of this on the alembic site would yield tons of useful information
ns

I mean the only thing i can see low magnetism doing would be increasing sustain... not only that alnico magnets don't have too much pull anyways. i could be wrong
Philsland
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods