pickup position ?'s

pickup position ?'s

Postby austinhumphrey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:26 pm

me and my dad are building a guitar and i have some questions about pickup placement. i have got three stratocaster style single coil pickups and stratocaster electronics. i was wondering how do you know where exactly to place them and how much space to put between them. also if i need to angle the bridge pickup. or would i be better off just buying a template? this is my first time doing this sort of thing with a guitar and any advice would help a lot.
-Austin
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: pickup position ?'s

Postby vwjodyme » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:35 pm

You can buy the pre cut stuff from stewmac
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_nec ... odies.html

or Warmoth
http://www.warmoth.com/
vwjodyme

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Take a ruler to a music store and measure or trace it out?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 pm

If you have an extra strat pickguard, that'd make a pretty good template. You couldn't quite route with it since the holes have to be a little longer for body mounting than pickguard mounting, but you could get the placement and spacing.

Or you could use a trick that I've seen - build the body and neck, attach the bridge and string it up. Then make some simple brackets to temporarily hold the pickups on the opposite side of the strings, where your strumming hand goes. Attach with masking tape, and you can then move them back and forth to find the sweet spots.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Try the ' Bob '
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby drewfx » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:56 am

austinhumphrey wrote:me and my dad are building a guitar and i have some questions about pickup placement. i have got three stratocaster style single coil pickups and stratocaster electronics. i was wondering how do you know where exactly to place them and how much space to put between them. also if i need to angle the bridge pickup. or would i be better off just buying a template? this is my first time doing this sort of thing with a guitar and any advice would help a lot.
-Austin

Contrary to some beliefs, there is no exact science as to where you locate PU's.

Except for the fact that, in general, locating closer to the bridge vs. closer to the neck changes the sound, there is no "perfect" position.

So unless you're trying to perfectly duplicate something else in terms of either look or sound, you can put them pretty much wherever you want, angled or not angled, whatever.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby austinhumphrey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

thanks for the feedback! i'm glad to hear that the placement isn't an exact science. if anybody else has any other info that might be useful or other guitar building tips, please leave em
-Austin
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 am

drewfx wrote:
austinhumphrey wrote:me and my dad are building a guitar and i have some questions about pickup placement. i have got three stratocaster style single coil pickups and stratocaster electronics. i was wondering how do you know where exactly to place them and how much space to put between them. also if i need to angle the bridge pickup. or would i be better off just buying a template? this is my first time doing this sort of thing with a guitar and any advice would help a lot.
-Austin

Contrary to some beliefs, there is no exact science as to where you locate PU's.

Except for the fact that, in general, locating closer to the bridge vs. closer to the neck changes the sound, there is no "perfect" position.

So unless you're trying to perfectly duplicate something else in terms of either look or sound, you can put them pretty much wherever you want, angled or not angled, whatever.

Hmm, I seem to recall reading about certain harmonics the pickups can be under which has an impact on tone.
strumminsix

Postby drewfx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am

strumminsix wrote:Hmm, I seem to recall reading about certain harmonics the pickups can be under which has an impact on tone.

Yes, you probably did!

But the problem is harmonics move with every fret. So unless you're only going to play open or a single fret, the nodes/antinodes of each harmonic/overtone move. You get a node (the point where the string doesn't vibrate much) for a harmonic/overtone at the point where the string is divided evenly into equal lengths, which are the places where you would rest your fingers when playing a harmonic.

The theory some people propose is not to put the PU under a node, because it won't produce much output for a given overtone if the pole piece is right under the node where the string isn't vibrating (for that overtone). But they're always only talking about open strings, because they haven't thought it through and there's just no way you can "optimize" it for every fret.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

drewfx wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Hmm, I seem to recall reading about certain harmonics the pickups can be under which has an impact on tone.

Yes, you probably did!

But the problem is harmonics move with every fret. So unless you're only going to play open or a single fret, the nodes/antinodes of each harmonic/overtone move. You get a node (the point where the string doesn't vibrate much) for a harmonic/overtone at the point where the string is divided evenly into equal lengths, which are the places where you would rest your fingers when playing a harmonic.

The theory some people propose is not to put the PU under a node, because it won't produce much output for a given overtone if the pole piece is right under the node where the string isn't vibrating (for that overtone). But they're always only talking about open strings, because they haven't thought it through and there's just no way you can "optimize" it for every fret.

That's awesome! THANK YOU!
strumminsix

Return to Guitar Building and Mods