Anybody seen these?

Anybody seen these?

Postby broesau » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 pm

http://www.phredinstruments.com/index.php

I remember seeing this website a while ago when they just had the Languedoc guitar copies, but now they have a Tiger/Rosebud copy as well. I remember the Languedoc guitars were only about $500 before, I wonder how much they'll be when he has them back in stock. Can't tell much about the Jerry guitar, but it looks like it has an OBEL and maybe a buffer since there is a battery compartment. Is this what Mr. Lieber is working on?
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Anybody seen these?

Postby freddyrose76 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Hey, I'm Fred of PhredInstruments.com. I haven't determined the price yet, but I can tell you that I will be offering two version of the Jerry Guitar. One version will be basic, no OBEL, stock pickups, and dual mono output jacks. I will offer a fully upgraded version with upgraded pups, hardware and the OBEL. I'll be manufacturing my own preamp inspired by the CAE Sound and Waldo one. It's a pretty sweet looking guitar and plays well, too.
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Hey Fred,

Those are pretty cool. You should offer one with a heavy, dense wood body too. Those look pretty cool though.
mijknahs

Postby Maybeck09 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:36 am

Very nice axes! Really great business set up. Good luck. I'm interested in learning more on the Trey inspired versions.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Dwarf Rat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 am

From Paul Languedoc:

Do you know there are people making knock-offs of your guitars?
Yes, thanks. They all suck.
Dwarf Rat
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:04 am

Dwarf Rat wrote:From Paul Languedoc:

Do you know there are people making knock-offs of your guitars?
Yes, thanks. They all suck.

:lol: Gave me a good chuckle

tho his are like 10k and these are 500(?) so...

I would have loved one of these when I was 15, or if i had a kid :cool:
vwjodyme

Postby freddyrose76 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:13 pm

all I got is mahogany and swamp ash for options.

mijknahs wrote:Hey Fred,

Those are pretty cool. You should offer one with a heavy, dense wood body too. Those look pretty cool though.
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby paulinnc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I would like to know more about these.
paulinnc

Postby gr8fullfred » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 am

Just because a guitar looks like Tiger, does not mean its a great guitar. A $500 guitar is still a $500 guitar. The selection of materials, care in assembly, talent of the builder are all factors in making a great guitar. It took Doug like 8 years to make Tiger. Obviously he was not fast, he was good.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am

Just because a guitar costs little and is short of great doesn't mean it can't sound and play well and be inspirational, especially to young or fiscally challenged musicians. If you can't gig anywhere in the world on a $500 MIM Strat, it ain't the guitar. And I often mod mine anyway. I'll keep an open mind until I can test one personally.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:23 am

Also, taking 8 years doesn't make a better guitar. It shouldn't have taken Doug more than 2 years to build Tiger even if he was "slow". There were obviously years that went by where little or nothing was done at all.

These Phred "Liger" guitars shouldn't be much different from a Jerry modded SG except that they have a maple neck which would get you more in the ballpark than an SG (which has a mahogany neck and is only 24.75" scale length). With the swamp ash body option I'd guess that you could get some nice Jerry tones from it. It would then be closer to a Strat but with a set neck (which is better).

Jim
mijknahs

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Fred,

What is the price for one of the Liger guitars (with Swamp Ash body)?

Thanks,
Jim
mijknahs

Postby freddyrose76 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

mijknahs wrote:Fred,

What is the price for one of the Liger guitars (with Swamp Ash body)?

Thanks,
Jim

I haven't determined pricing yet. It's going to be a bit more than the TA-01 because of the more detailed inlay work, extra p-up and extra knob and switches. I'm hoping that mahogany will bring out more of a warm 70s Jerry tone while swamp ash would have more of a bright 80s Jerry tone. Compared to the Irwin guitars, the Cripe guitars sounded especially bright and crisp. It's tough to say that the wood choice made a huge difference when Jerry seemed to used EQ to shape the sound.
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:21 am

freddyrose76 wrote:I haven't determined pricing yet. It's going to be a bit more than the TA-01 because of the more detailed inlay work, extra p-up and extra knob and switches. I'm hoping that mahogany will bring out more of a warm 70s Jerry tone while swamp ash would have more of a bright 80s Jerry tone. Compared to the Irwin guitars, the Cripe guitars sounded especially bright and crisp. It's tough to say that the wood choice made a huge difference when Jerry seemed to used EQ to shape the sound.

Any rough estimate on the price for the Liger? What was the price for the TA-01? I can't find any pricing info on the web site.

Yes, the mahogany will sound more like early Jerry when he played an SG or LP but it will be brigher with the maple neck. I find that the neck wood has a huge influence on the "snap", attack and sustain but the body wood also adds a lot to the overall tone and sustain. My cocobolo/maple/cocobolo body guitar (with maple neck) has much more sustain and resonance than my Gibson LP (with mahogany body/maple cap AND maple neck playing direct through the same amp/rig. Yet my maple necked LP is definitely brigher and "snappier" than a mahogany necked LP.
mijknahs

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:04 pm

mijknahs wrote:Yes, the mahogany will sound more like early Jerry when he played an SG or LP but it will be brigher with the maple neck. I find that the neck wood has a huge influence on the "snap", attack and sustain but the body wood also adds a lot to the overall tone and sustain. My cocobolo/maple/cocobolo body guitar (with maple neck) has much more sustain and resonance than my Gibson LP (with mahogany body/maple cap AND maple neck playing direct through the same amp/rig. Yet my maple necked LP is definitely brigher and "snappier" than a mahogany necked LP.

I totally agree with the assessment of the tone from the neck wood. I have a '78 LP Standard that has a maple neck and it is much brighter than any other LP I've ever played. It made a great GD guitar and kind toed the line between the late 60s/early 70s sound and a more modern one. Fred, maybe you should consider a maple neck, I can't imagine that it would alter building cost substantially. My .02$
tcsned

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods