If Tiger was built now - what changes?

Re: If Tiger was built now - what changes?

Postby claytushaywood » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:17 pm

I have to agree that he'd probably keep the super or super 2 in the middle as we all know that was his sound, but I think he would have found some love with some of the new pickup makers neck and bridge pups. And more midi control. with things like ableton live today and the quality of live looping and sampling instruments i think he would have went off on that stuff. having a real oboe sampled across it's entire range mixed with whatever and however many other super high quality samples even putting different instruments on different strings- there could be some ridiculously fat guitar sounds for space.

i dont know much about guitar construction but werent carbon fiber necks around a long time ago? i think some kind of super strength multi piece neck with baked woods and such would be up his alley. and what about compensated nuts like earvana?

I really cant think of many guitars that have as cool wiring schemes as tiger though- the obel is still the coolest functional design i've seen on a guitar yet! man we are lucky to live in a time with so much knowledge and stuff available in the world of pedals, pickups and amps.
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I'd guess a built in modern synth pickup, like a Roland one. Jerry was doing a lot of stuff with that in the latter days. Agree with Johnny on the digital stuff for the effects loop and vol/tone pots, there's some really top notch digital gear being made these days. Maybe some of those weird MIDI-wired pickups like there were on one of Phil's basses. May have been too finicky for Jerry's tastes, though. The denseness of the guitar is something you get used to. I played a 12 1/2 pound axe for a long time and it had a great tone even though it was a brick. I don't know that he'd want that part changed. Yes to the modern boutique pickups, too.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:12 pm

From the Dead Gear book:

"Jerry was always into experimenting with his guitars,particularly trying out different pickups," says Gary Brawer. "He was always changing his pickups because he felt their magnetic field didn't last long at all and that the high end would go quickly. We went through a phase where he wanted to try a lot of different pickups- he played Lindys [Lindy Fralin pickups] at a coupe of shows; in fact I still have Jerry's Lindys at my shop. He also tried some [Seymour] Duncans and a different model of DiMarzio, but he always seemed to go back to the DiMarzio Super IIs."
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jon S. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:44 am

TI4-1009 wrote:From the Dead Gear book:

"Jerry was always into experimenting with his guitars,particularly trying out different pickups,"

We can honor Jerry's spirit in this regard by keeping our own minds open and continuing to experiment even should we also return, intermittently or finally, to where Jerry returned.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby milobender » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:06 am

Hear, hear! Excellent point! :cool:
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods