newbie question, pots, jacks and wires, Oh My!!

newbie question, pots, jacks and wires, Oh My!!

Postby seanc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:16 am

All,
I have a Hofner Icon (cheap chinese beatle bas) but it has an issue. It tends to make noise (off and on) and cut out. I would guess that there is probably a bad cable connection someplace.

So, I am thinking that I am going to make this a DIY (first time project). As I am sure the quality of the components are not top notch, I am thinking I will replace it all.

What are the good components to get? I guess I will need wire, 2 volume pots and a decent 1/4" jack.

Thanks!!
Worcester/ Providence area Bass player, looking to hook up and play some tunes!!
seanc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: newbie question, pots, jacks and wires, Oh My!!

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:48 pm

With cheap stuff, you may find the pickups need to go too. Use shielded braided wire from radio shack, thin 28 gauge is fine, maybe shield the cavity with copper, make sure it is all grounded well.... Alpha pots, switchcraft plugs, and a quality switch, maybe even the switch you have in there will work fine... I shielded a cavity with aluminum tape from the hardware store and it seems to do OK.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 pm

If it's like my Rogue it's a hollow body, not easy to shield. If you look through sites like Allparts and Stewmac you should find just about everything you need.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintagehofner/factfiles/wire/wire3.html
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby postguitars » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Must be a bad connection or perhaps a dud pot, are the solder contacts shiny or dull?
postguitars
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Return to Guitar Building and Mods