using push pull pots for buffer/loop switching

using push pull pots for buffer/loop switching

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi all, I searched for this and couldn't find it hopefully its not a repeat. I have converted my strat to the tiger layout with a push pull pot to split a Duncan pearly gate and little 59. I installed a super two permanently split in the middle position, with a stacked tone for bridge and neck, and push pull for middle tone and to split the Duncan's. I also used a 25k push pull on the volume to switch the loop in and out. My problem is the volume won't turn all the way off. I've grounded everything the same as the Wald tiger schemo. Its my understanding that push pull pots are just pots with a switch mounted to the bottom and there operation entirely independent. Is there some extra grounding to look out for with this type of pot? I have tested the pot with an ohm meter. And it appears to be working. Any thoughts, help, answers would be appreciated. Thanks Greg
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: using push pull pots for buffer/loop switching

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I do know running a 25K pot is because of using an active low impedance buffer in the guitar, did you use a buffer in the circuit? that may be the issue... otherwise sometimes you get bad pots, even new. I was actually wiring a guitar for a friend and the pickup was screwed up and the push pull pot too. He got a new pick up and pot and it worked just fine. I also had a bad DPDT
switch with my latest wiring job in my fleet of guitars. it is strange yes to have that much go bad, but I know now how possible it can be.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes, I used the CB-1 I had in my old guitar. I did order a new pot. I'm gonna try that next. It just sucks you can't find parts like these in town. Thanks for your input.
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby milobender » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:28 am

Is one leg of your volume pot directly grounded?
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby gpilcher2001 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes that was it. I checked that a few times it looked like it was, but once I dug deeper there it was. It gets pretty crowded in there with all those wires. Thanks. :P
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby milobender » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Outa Sight! I did the same thing a couple of months ago... couldn't/didn't see it til I took it out assuming it was bad. :smile:
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Return to Guitar Building and Mods