Hardtail Strat bridge options

Re: Hardtail Strat bridge options

Postby tatittle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Indeed I have heard the separation of saddles being advocated by guitar makers before, this takes it one step further. On the other hand some folks advocate making the saddles 1 solid mass. I cant comment on its effectiveness unfortunately. I suspect I would find it significant...but lotsa stuff I think is noticeable other guys scoff at and say there is no difference. The rerouting aspect also makes this almost prohibitive as a mod, better suited for a plan from the beginning I imagine. Ill have to keep my eye out for these so I can try one, thanks for the post.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Pfallon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:34 am

Have you considered just blocking the existing trem bridge in place?
The notes fell like raindrops on the velvet landscape of my mind
Pfallon
tiger
tiger

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Pfallon wrote:Have you considered just blocking the existing trem bridge in place?

That's what I did to my Strat and PRS.
tcsned

Postby tatittle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 pm

If you guys are making the suggestion to block re: my original post, it is a hartail strat (stringthru) body...not a trem routed one. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Re: blocked trem's (of which I have a handful), at least mine they don't seem to have as snappy response on the thickest strings that hardtails do. I still haven't gotten around to trying the disassembled trem plate on the hardtail, I will try and remember to post my results. I am pretty much thinking of it as a temporary solution anyhow.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tatittle » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:45 am

Before I forget: I tried taking the block off a Turkish made (HANTUG) trem bridge and the mounting screws were a tad wide on the sides, just as the Schaller hardtail was actually; still usable I think, but I did wanna risk messing up the wood so I checked my Callaham. The Callaham matches up absolutely perfectly; both mounting screws and string thru holes. I haven't strung it up yet, but it looks like it will function fine.

Indeed it works perfect and sounds great as Callahams do...though I also put my quartersawn (or whatever its called) Warmoth maple neck on it with 12" radius/brass nut which helps the tone too. Its a vintage mount with narrow space saddles. The wider vintage saddles space is nice for fingerpicking, but I can adapt .
Last edited by tatittle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Pfallon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 am

I see you stated tha it was a hard tail right way in your op
It didn't sink in that you were trying to replace 1 ht with another
I read a post here somewhere that exact alignment with the string over the pole pieces wasn't as critical as you might think
Maybe just re adjust the saddle to relive some of the lateral force and see if it takes care of the string popping off while still sounding as balanced and good as you would like.
The notes fell like raindrops on the velvet landscape of my mind
Pfallon
tiger
tiger

Postby Jon S. » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:57 am

I have one of these at home. It was sold to me as a "prototype Alembic" but I'm pretty sure it's a Stars. What's especially cool about it is the saddles are virgin. If and when I eventually use it in a project, I will be the one to cut them to taste. (Open images in new tabs if they get cut off.)

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods