Casters on a 2x12

Casters on a 2x12

Postby Chuckles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

I've (well, my back's) had it with lifting this 2xE120 cab I've got. I'm thinking of just mounting some casters on it, but am afraid that when I tip it over to vertical position, the casters will rattle a lot when I play through it. I'd put the casters on the true bottom of this cab - the long side and move the rubber feet to the new bottom (short side with one of the handles). Anyone ever done this and found it to be okay/no good?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Re: Casters on a 2x12

Postby hogan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:51 pm

They make casters that detach. You install a bushing that the caster pops into. When you don"t want wheels pop them out. Or you could just go w/ the trusty handtruck.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby playingdead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey Chuck:

The first 2X12 I built, I put casters on the bottom. The cabinet with the JBLs is extremely front heavy. It is very prone to tipping over and falling on its face. Not good for the speakers. :shock:

Putting the casters on the long side of the cabinet would probably help, but I think it might still be challenging to roll it, plus you will be hunched over to push it and that will probably hurt your back more.

When I got the HT cabinet, I popped for the AVS roadcase. I was so glad I bought that thing ... it made life so much easier. The cabinet sits in the tray onstage, and I used to tilt the front edge up on the lip to rock it back a few inches, which helped with projection. And that particular case has high quality casters that will roll over almost anything, even grass. It was very handy to stack the rest of the gear on top (pedal board, head, rack cases) and just roll it all right into the venue. And, since I also bought a dog ramp for the car, it was easy to just roll it right into the back of my wagon. I never had to lift that thing again. Highly recommended. There are probably less expensive cases than the AVS case, but good casters on the case are a must.

When I had the custom Twin head case made, it used to sit perfectly on its side (like Jerry's) in the tray next to the 2X12, I could wire it in the tray and roll it right onstage ready to go. You can kind of see it here:

That head case is still around if anyone's looking to convert their Twin into a head, by the way.
playingdead

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Like playin, here is an idea the would be less expensive than having a custom road case made. Get a piece of 3/4" plywood and make a dolly by putting the wheels on the plywood and then you can put the speaker on the plywood dolly itself. Find ways to lock it in as it rides so it won't tip. put a 3/4" lip on the dolly in a rectangle about the size of the cab so it wont shift as you push it. I am going to make one myself. I'll let you know how it turns out.
:::::Wheels still spinning here::::
If you want the custom case look, go to walmart and get a trunk for kids to go to camp for about 20 -30 bucks. rework the inside with wood to fit your cab snug and put wheels on the bottom. I just thought that up looking at playin's setup. They want an arm and a leg for custom road cases ($500) that cost under $50 in their trunk form at walmart. They can even be taken apart and made to whatever size needed as long as it's smaller than what it was originally. I'm gunna try that I think first. If it is not road worthy in construction, Which I think will be the case, add more wood to reinforce it. I am a carpenter by trade.

If it turns out good, I may try and make some for you guys to buy, and not for $500+ like hard truckers. The case playin has would have better handles and hinges, but those can be purchased to upgrade easily.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Chuckles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Thx 4 the replies, guys.

Yeah, the tippiness is why I thought I'd put them on the long side - I got two locking casters for the front to avoid anything else. The case is going to be that much more heavy for the short lifts I have to make (have seven steps coming and going out my back door) and I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself with my back. (I'm noticing a recurring theme here among older members with bad backs... I even managed tendonitis in my elbow carrying stuff for my last gig.) Plus, you've still got the pushing it down low issue with the case... but if I were gigging heavily, it would be a no-brainer for protection of the gear more than anything else.

My real concern is the rattling that may occur, in which case Hogan's removable wheels idea is probably the best. I've screwed in one caster to test tomorrow (it's an Avatar cab - I'm not much concerned with mucking it up).

This is all probably moot except for outdoor gigs, as I just got a 1x12 K120 in cab off the 'bay. Another thread on that coming soon... 8)
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Return to Cabinets