2 X 12 jerry style cabinet ***partial spam***

Re: 2 X 12 jerry style cabinet ***partial spam***

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 pm

that is a very nice cabinet great job
jdsmodulus

Postby waldo041 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm

if i were a betting man i would gamble that they were probably used for there sonic performance. that said jerry is seen with only 2 clips on one speaker and i have seen one of his cabs with the generic black plastic clips also. i would have to dig to find the photo, but it's out there.

NICE CLIPS JEFF!!

i got lucky! my uncle is a machinist and once i threw him the layout of the clips he had them to me in a week. free of charge. they look exactly like yours. not to stir the pot, but the new hardtruckers have never had them right!

the real genius of the clip is the hex screw. parish is seen using a drill with a hex key onstage removing a speaker. it doesn't slip or strip like a phillips screw might. when jerry blew a speaker the job was to get in and out, without any damage.

one last note concerning the clip is it's height. your standard speaker would need spacers to accomodate it's surrounds height. JBL's are beefy speakers all around and the clips are pretty much made for them.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:21 am

waldo041 wrote:
one last note concerning the clip is it's height. your standard speaker would need spacers to accomodate it's surrounds height. JBL's are beefy speakers all around and the clips are pretty much made for them.

peace,
waldo

Your absolutely right on the surround heights of jbls and that the clips are made for them. In the picture is an eminence cannbis rex I used just for checking sizing on the speaker holes and clip placement (didnt want my jbls getting sticky and dusty in the shop). The jbl's I put in are much thicker than that and fit the clips perfectly. The eminence and tone tubbys I sometimes use need spacers as you mentioned.
By the way the cannabis rex is a very nice speaker at an 80 dollar price point, I use them in my Bobby rig from time to time.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 am

Really, what is the point of the clips if you don't travel with extra speakers?

I can see the GD road crew having extra JBLs so clips might be quicker... But really?
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 am

ss,

i again would assume the rigidness of the aluminium clip probably contributes in some factor to the overall sonic performance of the cab. remember they didn't use just any wood for these cabs. they chose it also for it's sonic performance. sure, the non touring, non speaker changing musician would be satisfied with any clip. but i would assume that if one wants a HT cloned cab, the proper clips should be there also. the "look" would be off without them.

just my .02 cents.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am

just to add for me the "look" is key not only the way the clips are manufactured but also that they are symmetrical in cunjunction with the jbls in todays dead band realm I find I get more distance with my gear if it is as close to clone as possible thats just me plus Im not currently in a band so the down time is to get everything just exactly perfect so that being said anyone need a jerry or bob for their band? sorry I couldnt help it hey waldo can you get anymore clips clips clips peace JD
jdsmodulus

Postby hogan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 am

The clips aren't quicker. 4 bolts is 4 bolts.
The clips don't add to the sonic performance of the cab. They are just what they used. Now they are the convention and people can't be happy w/o them. Funny and sad at the same time.
For me, it's particularly annoying as I try to offer a product that's every bit as good and in some ways better than the original. Way below what competitors charging and I get jammed up in whether the cab has the same speaker clips. If speaker clips are what it's about for you then you need a HT cab. They make a wonderful cab
SS nailed it right on the head.

~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby waldo041 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 am

the clips are rare the cabs are not. that's why most discussions on HT cloned cabs always fall back to them. if someone made and sold the clips without the cabs, then most would make or have made there own cabs.
check this out.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... 0249415401

no disrespect but regardless of there ease of use or sonic performance, the cabs look way better with the machined aluminium clips. thats a huge selling point!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 am

right on waldo Ive seen that knockdown kit before do you think its worth it also I meant no dis either for Hogan Im just really into gear and getting it right no flame was meant the bottom line is anyone can build a cab but not everyone has a cnc in their garage I just would like to add the original HT cabs were varied greatly depending on the application unlike the new ones peace JD
jdsmodulus

Postby hogan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:05 am

jdsmodulus wrote:Im just really into gear and getting it right no flame was meant the bottom line is anyone can build a cab but not everyone has a cnc in their garage

I respectfully disagree, not just anyone can build a cab. I've seen and heard a lot of home jobs that were better suited as cat coffins. ~MJH
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby hogan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:22 am

waldo041 wrote:no disrespect but regardless of there ease of use or sonic performance, the cabs look way better with the machined aluminium clips. thats a huge selling point!

peace,
waldo

There is no sonic performance point.
They look way better in comparison to what? Isn't that just a matter of your opinion?
If I get aluminium clips can I add $900 to my asking price? That might just be worth.

$130 knockdown cab + aluminium clips = $1300 HT Cab or $425 Hogan cab?
That's essentially what you are reducing it to. Good grief.
~MJH
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
hogan

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

All clip discussion aside (since I was the one who jumped on the clip discussion initially) I can say unequivocally that the Original Poster (clips or no clips) is offering a very,very fair price for a cab that is very tough to get right. I had the help of a master carpenter on mine which is the only reason my cab came out so good. The materials for the cab cost at least 250 dollars and it took me hours and hours of pain in the butt labor. I would never have gotten it right alone. 450 for this cab considering labor and materials is something I would jump at if I had to do it all over again.

I couldn't say if the clips make a sonic difference or not. When I play my twin with JBL's in the combo or I plug the Twin output into the cab that has JBL's I do hear a sonic difference but that is for many reasons, opened back baltic birch cab, projection, dimensions, and maybe the clips have a play in there somewhere, maybe not.They obviously make a cosmetic difference to many people. I do really like the ones I have for no other reason than I like them for me.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby jonarobb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:09 pm

There's no sonic gain by using the clips. It's strictly for ease of swapping speakers, as Hard Truckers even points out on the website.

Because of the weight of JBL's it could be assumed that the added benefit of using the clips is that the T-Bolts are set in farther from the speaker cutout where they would be more likely to fatigue, and possibly rip out from the constant abuse some speaker cabs take.

Other than that it's really just for the purest who wants his cab to look a certain way.
jonarobb

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Hogan has nice breast's,too.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby hogan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm

jeffm725 wrote:All clip discussion aside (since I was the one who jumped on the clip discussion initially) I can say unequivocally that the Original Poster (clips or no clips) is offering a very,very fair price for a cab that is very tough to get right. I had the help of a master carpenter on mine which is the only reason my cab came out so good. The materials for the cab cost at least 250 dollars and it took me hours and hours of pain in the butt labor. I would never have gotten it right alone. 450 for this cab considering labor and materials is something I would jump at if I had to do it all over again.

Thanks man.
I dig the HT style clips, don't get me wrong. They are a pain in the balls to get. They are expensive. Those are the two big strikes against them. I'm trying to get people hooked up for less money, and heaven forbid make a little green also. As it stands now the HT style clips get in the way of both those goals.
It's a real bummer to hear people suggest that you are doing it wrong just because you are doing it differently, or should I say, using the modern equivalent.
If what the clips look like are what matters to you, then you should spend your money on a HT. If their appearence isn't paramount and you have $1300 to spend, buy 3 of my cabs and terrorize your band, bar, club, parents and or roommates.
~MJH
PM me for a cab
Happy customers (~);-} :
hogan

PreviousNext

Return to Cabinets