Beyma speaker a little bigger than JBL

Beyma speaker a little bigger than JBL

Postby modz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:49 am

So I cut my speaker holes as close as i can get to JBL specs (as JBL's are a little bigger than average speaker) a client tried a Beyma speaker and it won't fit the JBL hole. He talked to Beyma and they said their speakers are exact to JBL specs. I went to Beyma's site and their own specs say
Overall Diametert 312mm
and JBL's are
JBL E120 300mm
Anyone else run into this? I like a good tight hole:) for my speakers but not so tight that the rub.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Beyma speaker a little bigger than JBL

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 am

Tracy, I have Beymas loaded in one of your cabs now. It required no modification at all but It took some elbow grease getting it in as it as challenging. I think I swore about 15 times.
keirweir

Postby TRG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Hey Tracy,

I have a Beyma in one of your 1x12 cabs and it fits fine.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby modz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks guys, I think I will adjust my hole cutting jig:) I borrowed a Beyma from a friend a few minutes a go and it was about 1/8" bigger than a JBL. So for everyone thinking about using Beyma's just keep that in mind. Also the clamps ended up being very tight on them. I like the sound though but it's costing me to adjust a clients cab! Thanks for the feedback.
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:03 am

Which is it: 1/8" or 12mm difference. It's a significant difference between those values.

Not shocking it's taken this long as most folks rear lead cabs.
strumminsix

Postby Smolder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 am

I have a couple of Larry Rogers' baffles and he tends to set them up for jensen/celestion/eminence speakers. That makes them a challenge for jbl/ev/weber speakers which all use a slightly larger diameter hole pattern. Since most of us mount with 4 bolts, that leave four in the pattern not used. I've been mounting the other four (every other one) with T-nuts slightly bigger... that way I have both options, just have to rotate the speaker to match the right set of mounting holes.

Edit: this presumes a rear mount that doesn't use screw mounts like old fenders. It also works best with a grill cloth as apposed to the fully exposed hard truckers type of front mounts.
Smolder

Postby modz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

12 mm or 0.472441" is closer to 1/2" than 1/8" - sorry about that. I figured I would mention the size difference here, to save anyone a headache in the future. I really like the speaker though. I use the JBL cut out on all my stuff but Celestions are loose in the JBL hole.
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm

modz wrote:12 mm or 0.472441" is closer to 1/2" than 1/8" - sorry about that. I figured I would mention the size difference here, to save anyone a headache in the future. I really like the speaker though. I use the JBL cut out on all my stuff but Celestions are loose in the JBL hole.

Do you think the Beyma sounds like a JBL E120? If not, what's different?
mijknahs

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 am

mijknahs wrote:
modz wrote:12 mm or 0.472441" is closer to 1/2" than 1/8" - sorry about that. I figured I would mention the size difference here, to save anyone a headache in the future. I really like the speaker though. I use the JBL cut out on all my stuff but Celestions are loose in the JBL hole.

I have had the Beyma Liberty 8's in a 2x12 cab for over a year now. They sound exactly the same as the E120's I had in another 2x12 cab.

Also, if you compare the specs, they are exactly the same except for the discussion here about the hole size. I have swapped them out in cabs that had E120's with no problems.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby keirweir » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 am

mijknahs wrote:

No evidence of this but I like my Beymas better than my E's.
keirweir

Postby mijknahs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 am

keirweir wrote:
mijknahs wrote:

No evidence of this but I like my Beymas better than my E's.

Well your testimony is the evidence I'm looking for. Do you think they have a warm and full sound? How do they sound compared to K120s if you've compared them?
mijknahs

Postby keirweir » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

I would say the Beymas are a bit warmer and a tad fatter sounding than the E's. Not sure if this is related to them being newer? I like my K's the best but I'm not using them now. I'm prepping a 1x12 for the k.
keirweir

Postby modz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I have 2 1x12 cabs, one with original cone K120 and a Beyma in the other. I can tell a difference for sure but it's not drastic like the
Neo's. I like both speakers though and I have to agree that the Beyma was warmer / fatter.
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm

modz wrote:I have 2 1x12 cabs, one with original cone K120 and a Beyma in the other. I can tell a difference for sure but it's not drastic like the
Neo's. I like both speakers though and I have to agree that the Beyma was warmer / fatter.

That's awesome to hear that there are new speakers that sound like that. Now I'm eager to try some out!
mijknahs

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:12 am

May not be the best representation but here's a clip from our show last weekend with the Beymas. My OBEL needs some soldering so I lost effects mid solo but the clean tone gets showcased. God damn technical issues...

http://archive.org/download/DLG2012-09- ... in_Man.mp3

And TLEO

http://archive.org/download/DLG2012-09- ... _Other.mp3
keirweir

Return to Cabinets