Jerry's Cab

Jerry's Cab

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 am

I thought jerry's cab was a 3x12...it also looks like it's slightly slanted. why can't i find info on this here? am i wrong? and why does hard truckers do a 2x12 with hemp cones on their JG cab? do those sound anything like jerry? i was under the impression that bobby was a fan of hemp cones?

here's some more ??????? haha you all are gonna be sick of me typing that damn question mark.

what are the dimensions of jerry';s 3x12 cab? is it slanted? what wood is it made of? (HT said baltic birch, but now i dunno if i trust them- i'm gonna start building cables with the exact same cable if ya'll are interested PM me) id like specifics on the back panel too if anybody has that?

also wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some definitive speaker building literature-? books or sites would be great!!!

I found a cool site for getting cheap cabs minus tolex apparently that's a big part of the cost. just sent the guy an email so I dont know about clips (But cmon are we really in it for the looks that much- or am i one of the few that doesnt play stadiums where blowing out a JBL 120 will pierce a hole in your brain like a cow)

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Contact_me.html anyone heard of/purchased/used one of these cabs. seems like a steal deal?
is size and wood a big factor for jerry tone?

I think that's all for now!!!! Sorry i feel like a child that just thinks of a new question with every new second that passes. And I thank you all for being the cool kinda dads!

Clay
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Re: Jerry's Cab

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:10 am

more!!! :lol: :lol:
anyone know where to get head cabs for fender amps or where to learn how to do it? i got a pro reverb and after reading a bit on the forum today about how jerry and his guys realized that combo amps were causing their tubes to get the TONE shaken out of em. I gotta agree!!! i dont run my tubes hot by any means, and man those things sounded so much better the first week than they do now (2 months or 60 hours of use later) I have a fender pro reverb and i wanna put it in a head cab!!

also--- hahahaha- really im sorry i have been searching for a lot of this stuff. if I turn my pro reverb into a head will the 2x12 combo cab work as a decent speaker cabinet?!? i dont know, they seem to be of decent quality. or would a nice baltic birch or pine cab from the guy i listed above be a better choice for tone?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 am

I have a baltic birch 2x12 made by the guy you posted the link for. It is unfinished (i finished it my self with polyurthane). It is a great cab (quality construction and a good sound) and you can take one or two of the back panels off. It's your choice. As far as a head cab, there are a few who build them for most fenders, but I can't remember the link. Just do a google search for fender style cabinets and I'm sure you will fine it. Jerry used a 3x12 for some time but ended up using a 2x12 for the most part.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 am

claytushaywood wrote:anyone know where to get head cabs for fender amps or where to learn how to do it? ?

west coast: http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech21.html (no idea why the url contains "tech21")
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Cabinets