OMG Free thought Alert! JK plays a closed back cab

OMG Free thought Alert! JK plays a closed back cab

Postby hogan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 am

Time to start talk of how much his tone sucks.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Re: OMG Free thought Alert! JK plays a closed back cab

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:42 am

aw crap guess you will have to build me another cab
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 am

He sucks and they should fire his closed-back ass to get the guy from the Electricians.
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:26 am

:lol:

I'll take the job!

One thing is for sure, I have not enjoyed listening to "the Dead or " since all this has shaken out, well since Jerry died. Even then their sound was going down hill.

Edit: I think it is a little harsh to say it/he sucks though... considering he is a member here and seemingly a nice guy, and probably way better than most here with an axe. I would go as far as saying I don't like it as much as Jerry's tone before the 90's, but saying he sucks is pretty unkind, unless this is an idea of a joke.
Last edited by JonnyBoy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jester536 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:16 pm

He sucks and they should fire his closed-back ass to get the guy from the Electricians.
strumminsix

I think that is an example of what you would have to refer to as an ascerbic wit. Funny stuff Strummin...I'm assuming you're Irish...because for we Irish...grudges never die.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby strumminsix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:44 pm

jester536 wrote:
strumminsix

I think that is an example of what you would have to refer to as an ascerbic wit. Funny stuff Strummin...I'm assuming you're Irish...because for we Irish...grudges never die.

HAHA! I knew someone here would appreciate my humor. BTW, great adjective!

Greek.. Nobody holds a grudge like them except Italians. Oh wait, that's my other half :-)
strumminsix

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I for one am enjoying "What's Left of the Dead" a lot more since they brought JK on. And I'm speaking as a Deadhead who got on the bus in the late 60's and has seen most of it- good, bad, and ugly. Mostly good.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:I for one am enjoying "What's Left of the Dead" a lot more since they brought JK on. And I'm speaking as a Deadhead who got on the bus in the late 60's and has seen most of it- good, bad, and ugly. Mostly good.

That is refreshing to hear!

Personally they haven't blown my mind exactly, but they've tickled it a few times, and that's pretty good.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:I for one am enjoying "What's Left of the Dead" a lot more since they brought JK on. And I'm speaking as a Deadhead who got on the bus in the late 60's and has seen most of it- good, bad, and ugly. Mostly good.

That is refreshing to hear!

Personally they haven't blown my mind exactly, but they've tickled it a few times, and that's pretty good.

That is a good way to put it, JK seems to be trying to do his own thing which is not exactly something I resent from him. But, surprised he doesn't use an open back cab for the overall sound he is going for.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

It may be the closed-back cab that is the culprit but there's a lot of variables including the cab that can make someone's tone suck. You can get great tone from a closed back cab. I have a half open Mesa 2x12 that is an awesome cabinet. Not really perfect for recreating Jerry's tone but still a great speaker cab. Lots of guys have used closed back cabinets and gotten world-class tone. Of course, if you're looking to get a Jerry tone then a open-back is better suited. Different doesn't necessarily = suck . . . but it certainly can :-)

I have enjoyed JK playing with Further more if for no other reason, Phil and Bobby seem a lot more able to play how they want and have to do a lot less orchestrating and more playing. He's a great player and is probably trying not to be too much of a Jerry clone considering the gig he has. I'm going to the Hampton show in a few weeks and I'll have my critical ears on.
tcsned

Postby modz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Exactly how i feel! Just getting a tickle is better than nothing. I much prefer hearing JK over WARREN HAYNES, who is a great guitarist with a great tone but not a Dead guitarist IMO. That jump right in to the Jam full eat is not what my ears wanted. Build the jam into something. JK has a different tone now for sure. Maybe he will write some tunes?????
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Cmnaround » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:52 pm

This incarnation of Furthur is by far THE best line up since Jerry. It's a combination of not only Jk but Jeff and drummer dude who totally provide the framework for Phil to conduct some bad ass jams that we haven't seen the likes of in some time - which Bobby counterpoints in a way that only he could - based on what I saw last year and from listening to the shows. I am way looking forward to seeing them play a bunch of shows in a row next week - maybe I'm wrong - I'll find out after the tower run.

Ps I play a closed back ported 2x12 with AlNico and ceramic tone tubbys - and it totally kicks ass
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:42 pm

TTIUWP!

JK called today, says he HAS NOT played a Closed Back Cab since 1999.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jdsmodulus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 pm

waldo041 wrote:TTIUWP!

JK called today, says he HAS NOT played a Closed Back Cab since 1999.

peace,
waldo

well that's nice and all...but its not true! HA! :shock:
jdsmodulus

Postby hogan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

tell that to the picture from the other night w/ the cardboard taped to it closing the back. In your world that probably doesn't count.

Pic stolen from some dude named Dylan. Sorry Mang.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Next

Return to Cabinets