Running two sets of speakers off of a Twin- DOH! MP3

Running two sets of speakers off of a Twin- DOH! MP3

Postby keirweir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 am

So I was rehearsing with a JGB band yesterday and had my Twin with Beyma Liberty speakers. I also had my 2x12 K-120 cab on hand. I was A-B testing and decided to go with the K's for the rehearsal. I had my vibrato-reverb pedal (the one that comes with the amp) plugged in. When I went to disconnect the Beyma's I unplugged the vibrato-reverb instead of the Beyma's. I then plugged in the K cab and played we started playing. In other words, I screwed up and had both the Beyma's and the K cab plugged in. :?

The entire first set I was surprised by this tone I was getting. It was clean, loud and flat out tasty. At the same time I kept saying “It seems like there is sound coming from both cabs". Finally after the first set I reached back to turn the amp of for a break and bang! I noticed both cabs were plugged in. :oops:

How close was I to blowing the amp? Is that even the case here?
Last edited by keirweir on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keirweir

Re: Running two sets of speakers off of a Twin- DOH!

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:35 am

You weren't going to blow the cab. The transformer in a tube amp will match the impedance of the load. If your total load impedance was too low, your risk would be to the transformer. Total impedance should be either 8 or 4 ohms, never below. I would have to know more about your configuration to tell you more.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby keirweir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 am

I was more concerned that perhaps I could have blown the amp, tubes or anyhthing related to damaging my amp. My amp is a standard 65 re-issue twin. On the back it has three inputs.

1-Int. speakers
2-Ext. speakers
3- vibrato pedal

I unplugged input #3 when I meant to unplug # 1.
keirweir

Postby strumminsix » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 am

ugly rumor wrote:You weren't going to blow the cab. The transformer in a tube amp will match the impedance of the load. If your total load impedance was too low, your risk would be to the transformer. Total impedance should be either 8 or 4 ohms, never below. I would have to know more about your configuration to tell you more.

I do believe Twins have an OT at 4ohms and can "safely" handle 1 mismatch up or down so either 8 or 2.6.

Keir, you were running at 2. Basically your cabs were trying to suck more power than the amp could provide. I'd say lower volume, short period of time, no issue.
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 am

I played for about an hour and a half at high volume!
I am so grateful nothing bad happened!
keirweir

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 am

keirweir wrote:I played for about an hour and a half at high volume!

Keir,
I did the exact same thing at a gig! I left the internal speakers plugged in when I also plugged in my 2x12 e-120 cab. It sounded OK for a while and then after a bit of time at high volume it lost some oomph I was really scared I did tranny damage, but I had it looked over afterwards by a tech and it seemed ok.....the worst part of all this? I did this at a time when Scott Murawski sat in and used my Rig for a song and the rig just sounded crappy, it was very embarassing ... and I couldnt figure out why until I went to break down after the gig and noticed I had 4 speakers plugged in. :?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby keirweir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:25 am

jeffm725 wrote:
keirweir wrote:I played for about an hour and a half at high volume!

Keir,
I did the exact same thing at a gig! I left the internal speakers plugged in when I also plugged in my 2x12 e-120 cab. It sounded OK for a while and then after a bit of time at high volume it lost some oomph I was really scared I did tranny damage, but I had it looked over afterwards by a tech and it seemed ok.....the worst part of all this? I did this at a time when Scott Murawski sat in and used my Rig for a song and the rig just sounded crappy, it was very embarassing ... and I couldnt figure out why until I went to break down after the gig and noticed I had 4 speakers plugged in. :?

man o man
keirweir

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:46 am

I have a recording of this rehearsal. This is the Simple Twist of fate.

This is my Twin running the K-120 Cab as well as the Beyma Liberty's in the Twin. Doh!

I am still trying to get away from my bright switch but its challenging (like giving up s'mores or somthing)... I would say the JGB project l I am in leans towards lets rip it up and see where it goes verse lets play it just like JGB.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bzp3kmhb9w40hc6
keirweir

Return to Loudspeakers