Holy JBL Fatman!

Re: Holy JBL Fatman!

Postby lunasparks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am

If the link below works, it'll take you to a comparison of the Copperhead and the JBL K110. I had to downgrade the quality a bit to be able to upload but there's still enough detail left to hear a difference, especially with headphones or decent speakers.

The is my PRRI, Channel 2, Vol 4, Treb 6, Bass 4, Rev 3, No Trem. JJ output tubes, reissue Tung-Sol 12ax7 in V1, Billm's TO20 output transformer. Fender MIA Strat (~1989), middle pickup, DiMarzio Area '58

Not a showcase of my playing, of which there's little to brag about. Just hoping to provide some info. on speaker differences for the interested....curious to hear what others think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1091746&content=music

Later on,

Vince
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby DeadlyHeptet » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:51 pm

The D series are alnico magnets which will compress more as they are driven harder. The E series are ceramic magnets. Early on Jerry might have used the alnicos, but I know the used the ceramics for many or most of the more recent years.

As of not too terribly long ago, A Brown Soun had a stash of E series that used to belong to Jerry. They might still have some, but I know they were reconing them with hemp cones.
DeadlyHeptet
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 pm

DeadlyHeptet wrote:As of not too terribly long ago, A Brown Soun had a stash of E series that used to belong to Jerry. They might still have some, but I know they were reconing them with hemp cones.

I wonder what the price of those are/were? I looked on their site I couldn't find anything about them..
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mkaufman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:34 am

Please dump this a-hole
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby phpbb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 am

mkaufman wrote:Please dump this a-hole

I am assuming this is in regards to a spammer that we just deleted?
phpbb

Postby mijknahs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:38 am

Yeah, the NFL Jersey guy...
mijknahs

Postby mkaufman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Yup - looks like the post was deleted.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Rick Turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 am

I've got a D-120 in one of the three Princeton Reverbs that Bear modded circa 1969, and it's a killer combination. Love it!

I also worked up the cabinet dimensions for all the "normal" rectangular boxes used in the Wall of Sound. Dimensions were calculated so the x y and z wavelengths between parallel walls would fall 1/3 of an octave apart. The insides of the boxes were damped with old fashioned thick carpet padding that had horsehair in it.

Also, we changed out a lot of the aluminum dust caps for paper ones. We were authorized JBL dealers and reconers, and they, of course, love us and couldn't quite believe what we were doing. Now their big systems are line arrays...hmmm, wonder where they picked up on that!

details, details...
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:56 am

Rick Turner wrote:I've got a D-120 in one of the three Princeton Reverbs that Bear modded circa 1969, and it's a killer combination. Love it!

I also worked up the cabinet dimensions for all the "normal" rectangular boxes used in the Wall of Sound. Dimensions were calculated so the x y and z wavelengths between parallel walls would fall 1/3 of an octave apart. The insides of the boxes were damped with old fashioned thick carpet padding that had horsehair in it.

Also, we changed out a lot of the aluminum dust caps for paper ones. We were authorized JBL dealers and reconers, and they, of course, love us and couldn't quite believe what we were doing. Now their big systems are line arrays...hmmm, wonder where they picked up on that!

details, details...

very cool info rick! thanks again!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Rick Turner wrote:I've got a D-120 in one of the three Princeton Reverbs that Bear modded circa 1969, and it's a killer combination. Love it!

details, details...

Thank you for that info, Rick!

I'm planning to build a replica of one of Phil's Wall of Sound cabs - I have a JBL D140 and the exterior dimensions - although if you have them handy and could confirm them, that would be awesome! But I don't know much about the inside. Was there any bracing or baffling? I'm guessing they were 3/4" plywood?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rick Turner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:23 pm

No internal bracing on the originals, but see comment at end. 3/4 "Baltic Birch" plywood. Pretty simple construction with rabbetted edge joints and a dadoed in baffle board. Banana jacks, heavy wire, front mounted speakers on composition cork gaskets. Horsehair based carpet padding all around inside.

I'd think that adding some stiffeners...1 x 2s or something like that...would be an improvement. Stiffer is better for cabinet sides and back.

Ever hear Crosby's system for his stereo 12 string? F2B, Mac 2300, single 15 (D-130), two 12s (D-120s). Sometimes he doubled the speaker rig. Incredible. Headroom up the ying yang. Best 12 ever according to his majesty. I'm not going to disagree. First guitar (or bass) with LED side markers...1970. They still work. Pre Casady bass.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:40 am

Thank you, Rick!

I have not seen Crosby's setup but that sounds like my dream bass setup. Maybe I'll work on a 2x12" cab after the 15" is done. This is getting really exciting!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rick Turner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 am

The only issue with speakers stored for a long time might be if they were put on a shelf face down or face up. Gravity pulls at the cone over time and can distort the suspension so the cone doesn't sit properly in it's "zero" position. But even if you wind up needing a recone, it's not a bad price! And if the cone is off center, maybe you could get a discount on it.
Rick Turner
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Loudspeakers