JBL E-120 & Eminence Commonwealth A/B?

JBL E-120 & Eminence Commonwealth A/B?

Postby aoguitars » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 am

Howdy,

I've been searching around here for some reviews of these Eminence Commonwealths that are supposed "clones" of the old E-120s, but haven't come up with too much real opinion. Have any of you played these enough to say that they're a good replacement for the E-120 vibe? Any of you A/B'd the two? I'm in the process of building some cabinets and have wanted to check these out for a while, and wanted to see what my fellow rukinders think. I have an old E-120, so I plan to check the two next to each other at some point.

thanks in advance, boys!
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: JBL E-120 & Eminence Commonwealth A/B?

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:27 pm

I really like mine, but I don't know how much they are like a REAL E120. I also use a K120 clone in my 1x12 called a Black widdow, and the sounds are different. That may be because I am using the widdow in an Open back as a 1x12 and the common's in a partial open/closed back 2x12. I can pull Jerry tones on both though. The 1x12 is brighter and less forgiving, but that may be because the cones are 20+ years old and it shares no power from the amp with another speaker. The common's are more full sounding, more bottom end, but NO lack of bright sounds like a JBL. My band likes the Common's better, probably because they are "New" speakers relative to the widdow, they must be more articulate and sensitive than the older Widdow . I can do Jerry on both, and the Widdow does it easier. BUT, I get the nicest overall tone from my Emmi's but A/b them with a real E120 I have not. So this is probably more useless info for you. I can tell you this, THEY ARE REAL HEAVY and have gobbs of power!!! Much more than I will ever use, and I haven't heard it break up yet. But, Speaker's depend SO much on the amp and guitar, its hard to know what they will do for you. I would have looked into Webber neo mags if I knew my cab would have cause me such a hernia. Its at least 100LBs! I'm glad I've had all my children. Good luck! :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: JBL E-120 & Eminence Commonwealth A/B?

Postby aoguitars » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:16 am

I appreciate the info, JonnyBoy! I'll swipe one up and A/B it with my E120 at some point. But I'm glad to hear that the Commonwealths can get the job done.
Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com
aoguitars
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Loudspeakers