JBL paper cone treatment

JBL paper cone treatment

Postby kurt eye » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 am

I recently purchased a pair of JBL K-120s on ebay. They both have the original cones. I believe I saw some mention on ebay of treating the paper cones with some kind of oil to keep them from drying out. Does anyone have any wisdom they can share on this topic?

Thanks

Kurt
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Re: JBL paper cone treatment

Postby Jon S. » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 pm

All I can tell you is the first K120 I bought had been treated with a silicone based preserver, it sounded like crap, and I sold it for a loss (because I was honest about it and the person who sold it to me was not).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: JBL paper cone treatment

Postby zambiland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:22 pm

kurt eye wrote:I recently purchased a pair of JBL K-120s on ebay. They both have the original cones. I believe I saw some mention on ebay of treating the paper cones with some kind of oil to keep them from drying out. Does anyone have any wisdom they can share on this topic?

Thanks

Kurt

I would say don't do it. The speaker should be fine as is. I wouldn't trust a speaker coating, especially one that was made of oil.

However, speakers are like strings, in a way, and will require reconing eventually and the Alnico JBLs also will need remagnetization. I got a D140 remag'ed by Orange County and it seemed to really perk up.
zambiland

Return to Loudspeakers