bass amp with jbl e120? jerry roland jc-120?

bass amp with jbl e120? jerry roland jc-120?

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi, due to a horrible case of GAS, I acquired a pair of jbl e120s on ebay for a good price, they came out to about 80 each including shipping. anyway, i only needed one for my fender deluxe reverb reissue, but my bass player needs a cab for his bass amp. it is a peavey tour 450. it says 450 watts at 4 ohm minumum load. i have an 8 ohm jbl e120. is this speaker appropriate for this bass amp? is it even a good choice for a bass amp? he has a chandler power condtioner i have been using. i am thinking of working a trade with him. does he want this speaker for his bass amp? on another note, due to the horrible GAS, I bought a roland jc 77 at a pawn shop today for 160! love it. used to have a jc 120. you who know these amps know what i'm sayin! cool vid on you tube of jerry and sammy hagar jammin'. and it looks like jer ber has a roland jc 120 miced up. am i wrong?
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Re: bass amp with jbl e120? jerry roland jc-120?

Postby PaulJay » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:17 am

I have the 77 and the 120 and they are both great. I play the 77 more because it's easier to lug around.
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:58 am

sorry, forgot the link for jerry with the roland jc-120, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6-kJlxwZc. i think after doing some research it seems that the peavey tour 450, which is 450 watts at 4 ohms, will power an 8 ohm speaker, but less efficiently, and would be more like 225 watts at 8 ohms, which seems it would be safe for the speaker, and the amp. hopefully, we have a gig today. i think if it were a 2 ohm speaker, i'ld be in trouble.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:03 am

PaulJay wrote:I have the 77 and the 120 and they are both great. I play the 77 more because it's easier to lug around.

yes, in regards to the jc-120, i made a late night buzzed bid on ebay and a week later a 120 pound package showed up, the 60 pound jc 120 in a 60 pound road case. i could barely carry it up stairs, luckily it got banned from stage with my band at the time due to it's overpowering wattage and two twelves. a little much for small clubs. i am so stoked for the jc-77. it is a much better as a small club amp, although i am going to use it for recording mostly, you gotta put two mics on it in stereo to get that true chorus vibe.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 am

after doing some research, i have found out that people on the talk bass forum don't prefer the e120 for bass applications. it is voiced as a guitar speaker, and doesn't apparently have a favorable frequency response for bass, which makes sense, although some folks do like to use on e120 as part of a bass rig.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Return to Loudspeakers