Altec, Gauss Cetec, EV, and other models of JBL's

Re: Altec, Gauss Cetec, EV, and other models of JBL's

Postby Smolder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm

claytushaywood wrote:Sorry about that post above. I've deleted it because it wasn't really me that posted it. I was drunk and lashed out after a hell of a week. my good friend took his own life and a girlfriend from a few years ago died in a car wreck along with the 3 other young people in the car. Sorry about that, I've been feeling like I did when I was a teenager, very angry at the world. honestly i've been trying to get a pair a k120s with original cones but I cant find them anywhere

That's a really tough week dude. Sorry man.

Re-cone D's and K's can be just like new if they are factory re-cone kits, they just need some break in tie. The down side is that a good re-cone will set you back 300 bucks.
Smolder

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 am

Betma Liberty 8 is an exact clone of a JBL E120! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby claytushaywood » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Smolder wrote:
claytushaywood wrote:Sorry about that post above. I've deleted it because it wasn't really me that posted it. I was drunk and lashed out after a hell of a week. my good friend took his own life and a girlfriend from a few years ago died in a car wreck along with the 3 other young people in the car. Sorry about that, I've been feeling like I did when I was a teenager, very angry at the world. honestly i've been trying to get a pair a k120s with original cones but I cant find them anywhere

That's a really tough week dude. Sorry man.

Re-cone D's and K's can be just like new if they are factory re-cone kits, they just need some break in tie. The down side is that a good re-cone will set you back 300 bucks.

I've heard weber does a pretty darn good job of reconing JBL's (a lot of D series fans think they have the closest surround to the original d paper surround... or something like that) they have your choice of paper or cloth, different dust caps and cones too. they charge more for JBL's than other speakers but they still only charge like $95
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby claytushaywood » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Betma Liberty 8 is an exact clone of a JBL E120! :smile: :smile: :smile:

i'd love one! do you need my shipping address?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby Vin-Tone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 am

claytushaywood wrote:i've been reading a ton about speakers recently, and am actually quite fascinated by them. sorry if i've been posting too much, I really do try not to post every question I have. I do like to pose questions for people to answer with their subjective experiences/opinions.

First, I was wondering if any JBL guys know what other models of JBL are similar to the popular e,k, and d. What are some of the JBL number models that arent so widely known... like the 2205 (not sure if thats the right number), but i know some jbl's have the same magnet and motor structure as the beloved D series speakers. It'd be cool to have a list of speakers that could be reconed by weber to make cheaper alternatives to the ridiculously high D series (or E or K)

Also, I've found a lot of good prices on Altec and Gauss Cetec and vintage Electro voice speakers. Some of these speakers were the competition for JBL when JBL's were offered as upgrades to stock fender speakers. In most cases the Altec's and Gauss cetec's were more expensive upgrades than JBL's. Are there any models that are in the same ballpark as JBL's?

I've heard the altec 418b is a good 15" with a similar clean high power sound with big ole magnet and voice coil.

It seems the older electro voice 12L's can be had for cheap as well. Is it the general consensus that weber does some of the better JBL recones- I've heard they even do a really nice D cone that is darn close to original.

Lets cover the recone question first. Some recone shops that are JBL service centers will only use JBL parts in JBL speakers. Now I have always been and will always be a JBL speaker fan, but the E series recone kit that is available now from JBL does not use the same parts that where used in the Original D/K series speakers. It will fit, and will work just fine, but will sound different. Not that that is necessarily and bad thing, some players may like it better. The reasons for this are many and fairly detailed so I won't go into that at this point. What I will say is that the retail price for this kit in the most recent JBL Transducer Parts List is $264 and that does not include any shipping or labor. There are some very good aftermarket parts available for these speakers today and most are closer to the original parts. Reconed properly these vintage JBL's can sing again. But parts alone a good recone do not make. The technique used in the recone process is every bit as important as the parts used. Also without the proper Fixtures, Shims and Adhesives the outcome could be disastrous. I know some the folks at Weber personally and have a great deal of respect for them. However the parts they offer to recone JBL's and any speakers for the most part are ones that they use in production of their own products. These parts are modified to fit but are not the best parts that are available for that particular recone. Remember. Just because the parts fit don't mean the are the correct ones for the job.

Next, almost every JBL model used the same basket (frame/magnet assembly) so in most cases the soft parts or recone kits are interchangeable. You can make a K a D or D a K. Also you can have a JBL Professional Product (2200 series) rebuilt more like a Musical Instrument Speaker. I just talked to a member last night about rebulding a JBL 2220 more like a D-130.

Last but not least. (comparable vintage speakers) You are pretty right on there. The major players of the day where Altec, Gauss and Electro Voice. Although they all have own voice and are cast baskets like JBL here is how they differ.

Altec 3" voice coils, Textile edge cones in general softer compliance.
Comparable models 425/8" - 417/12" - 418/15" - 422/15" The 421/15" was really a Bass speaker but some use it for Guitar.

Gauss 4" voice coils, Textile edge cones in general siffer compliance.
Comparable models 1841/10" - 2841/12" - 2842/12" I don't recall if they has a 15" smooth cone speaker?

Electro Voice 2.5" voice coils, Textile edge cones in general siffer compliance.
Comparable models Force-10/10" - SRO-12/12" - SP-12/12" - Force-12/12" - EVM-12L/12" - SRO-15/15" - SP-15/12 - EVM-15L - 15"
Vin-Tone
bruce
bruce

Postby Jack Straw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:33 am

I've got an old original HT with a pair of JBL E-120's that I absolutely love. I've tried many speakers, but nothing seems to come close for me. I've also got a pair of Gauss 12" that need to be re-coned. I've had them for years, thinking I'd have them done, but for the cost & shipping they have just turned into dust collectors. I also have 1 12" Meyer Sound speaker in real good shape. I've been hoping I could find another to make a 2 x12 cab, but they seem to be fairly rare
Jack Straw
bruce
bruce

Postby Jon S. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:47 am

Two thoughts.

(1) I, too, thought I'd try a bunch of different speakers first, mainly to conserve on the weight to carry! But when I finally copped an E120, I, too, ceased my wanderings.

(2) Interestingly, if all I'd gotten to hear was the E120 when playing alone/practicing, I wouldn't even have kept it. Others more technically disposed than I can perhaps explain why it doesn't fully shine until played in an ensemble (band) setting.

I still don't care for its weight but my back is feeling better these days plus the missus and I finally bit the bullet and copped a sleep number bed last night. I look at it as my "save the back for the E120" insurance! :lol:

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Previous

Return to Loudspeakers